33- Numb (Kylee)

This chapter is a good one, hopefully it will give you all something to talk about.  Enoy! :)

><><><

I'm not even sure what happened after I checked on my sister. My team snuck out of the tower to see the city in chaos. We saw cars crashing, people panicking- the usual stuff for a city wide black out.  I remember we came back, I told them I was checking on Rebecca. I opened the door to the tower computer labs…. and then that’s it. I can’t remember anything else.  Tomoyo told me that he and Mark were standing there in the hall, waiting for me, and that I was taking a while so they decided to check on what was holding me up…and…they found me. I was staring blankly at the ceiling, tears going down my face like a waterfall and yet I wasn’t making any sound.  Mark said that my sister’s head was in my lap and my hand was in her hair.  They both tried to tell me that my twin and I were sitting there, a pool of blood before us. 

Tomoyo and Mark tell me my sister’s dead.          

It’s hard to believe them. I don’t think Becca’s dead, because it’s just too bizarre to believe. If Rebecca’s dead, then I should be, too, shouldn’t I? I mean- we were born the same day. I was always in the opinion that we’d die on the same day.  If this isn’t true though, and I am being forced to stay alive, why am I lying here, unable to move and staring at the wall? I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding in. It’s deep and ragged, and filled with exhaustion. Is it strange that in this confused misery, I don’t even know where I am?   The little I’m aware of is that I’m lying in a bed, with black cotton sheets and a rich green comforter, as if I have the mentality to even notice colors. I know the room is dark and there’s the calming, white noise of a fan whirling around and the air is grazing the back of my neck and cheek every now and again. I must be somewhere safe, or relatively so, seeing as I’m never safe anymore. But, with what I can fathom right now of Tomoyo and Mark is that, seeing as I…was so broken…after…..well… I was broken enough to where I can’t imagine they’d leave me alone somewhere and vulnerable. 

I panic for a moment when I hear breathing somewhere close to me, but it was only my own breath, entering and leaving my body. I suppose I should figure out where I am first and foremost. I can’t handle doing anything else right now, so I make a mental list.          

First I need to sit up slowly, get a barring of the room. Then I need to try and pry myself from the warm, weighted world of sheets and comforters. I have to make my way to the door and open it. After that…I’ll just have to look for where Tomoyo and Mark retreated after telling me that my sister was dead. All of this though is easier thought of than done, as for my body feels like a lead weight and I feel as if I can barely move. My muscles hurt and as I get out of bed I drag the comforter with me over my shoulders. It’s so cold right now, I can’t stand it. I think I share that trait with someone I know but I can’t place my fogged mind on whom the person is though.

I must look a sight when I open the door to the dark room and let the light flood in, blinding me, because Tomoyo and Mark jump quickly off the couch and look at me, with worry and relief in their eyes.   I still don’t feel anything. All I do feel is physical: stiff and tired.  “Where are we?” I mumble, walking closer towards them as my eyes adjust.

My friends lead me to the couch and sit me down again. They’re treating me as if I’ve been deadly sick, escorting my to the couch the way they did. I guess I can’t get mad. I don’t know what happened to make them so worried.   Tomoyo has his hand on my shoulder, rubbing it as a parent would a sick child. Not saying that my parent’s really did that that I can remember.  In fact…Rebecca and my birth was a lot like their marriage, it was strictly business. I know that they love us and probably nurtured us around the ages of three and five, but there’s nothing I can really remember of it.