18- Closer to Normal (Kylee)

I had been training with Mom around twelve the next day at home in the family gym. It was something we often did to keep our mother/daughter ties with each other. You know, she’d teach me how to rely on the body as a more deadly weapon than the katana, and then we practiced with our katanas. Sword fighting was always the best time with Mom for me as I grew up. With her so busy and physical training so demanding, sword training (although equally demanding) was easier. It flowed with me and Mom; it was when we were a little more at ease with each other.

I remember, oh so faintly, back when I was twelve; Mom and I were practicing, it was the second week of my training with her and my legs got all twisted up and I fell, the katana got stuck in the wall after being flung backwards. Mom looked down at me, laughed at my awestruck, disappointed face-and it was one of the only times I’d heard my Mom laugh.

         But I had to focus on Mom now. I wasn’t twelve anymore, Mom doesn’t take it easy on me and she shouldn’t. Not that I’m in the business now. It was when we were fighting that Mom suddenly told me something that stopped me cold and she was able to knock me off my feet. She’d just told Morgan about the family duty last night after the kid stayed up till two A.M…not only did she tell Morgan about it- Mom told her that she and my other sisters would be joining the foot!

“But mother! They’re still so young, too young.”

“Rebecca is just as old as you.” Mom told me, helping me stand up.

“That’s not the point mother. I’m just saying….Morgan and Caitlyn are….Caitlyn’s only fourteen and Morgan…Becca…” I struggled for words. This…this isn’t right. I love my sisters, they’re a tough group of girls but they’re not meant for the life offered by the family business. I’ve been trained to handle that life since I was six, I was raised to take on that life but they…they’re not.  “Mom…they don’t have the training!”

“We will put them with the other apprentices.”

“With Sato? Mother-”

         “Kylee Miyoko Halliwell, that’s enough.” Mom silenced me, causing me bow apologetically. I fear for my sisters. I don’t think that they’ll do well in this world of the underground pretending to be something else. I…I didn’t know what to do. My mother had spoken and I couldn’t go against her. But my head is screaming against this. The two younger of my sisters aren’t ready for this kind of thing…no wonder why Morgan has been whipping out all her ninja video games and looking all-star eyed. This is perfect, just perfect. I just join last night and she’s already dragging my sisters into this? Was this the plan this whole time? Why they were pestering only me about this because either way they were bringing my sisters in right after me? I thought my sisters still had a few years before mother brought them into this world, or even brought them in at all.

I’ll admit- I’m scared for them. The foot clan didn’t nurture the weak well; they didn’t slow down training for someone who was a little slow in learning. Mom, who was able to pick through my brain when it came to my thoughts about my sisters, smiled and made me look at her. She told me, she’d try to find someone that would better suit my sister’s needs, someone who I’d think was better for them. Someone easier then Sato or the other trainers. I’m still worried, but I trust mom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later I find myself standing on a bamboo pole, irritated and bored out of my mind back at foot headquarters. Tomoyo is playing his shamisen on a mat with his eyes closed with the incense burning. 

“Why am I doing this again? I have fine balance!” I grumble at him. He smiles, he doesn’t open his eyes and he chuckles at me-he’s such a jerk! Tomoyo’s like an older calmer Judas! Only…slightly different.