42- Cruel Twist of Fate (Caitlyn)

As we rushed to the lair to help Master Splinter, I kept noticing that Leonardo was glaring at Donatello. Why, though, is what I'm wondering, because it wasn’t Donny's fault for Splinter getting hurt...so why show him resentment?

Another part of me wondered why I even cared.

All of the brothers hurried to Donny's lab to help their father. I was going to follow them and help, but a hand on my shoulder stopped me. I turned around. "Morgan what're you do-?" I began, but my sister cut me off.

"Let them take care of Master Splinter... It's been a while since we bonded." She said, in a no-nonsense voice that really didn’t belong with her character.

My eyebrows crinkled in confusion.  "Morgan, we're in the middle of a war. This is hardly the time for a little ‘sisterly bonding’!” I exclaimed.  “If you hadn't noticed, a demon that our grandfather controls is killing us off one by one!" I stated, voice growing until I yelled the last thing at her. She looked directly in my dilated eyes, her mouth turning down into a frown.

"Well, then, we'll talk as we train for the next battle." Morgan replied simply, leaving no room for an argument in her voice as she walked to the dojo.

After a while of going through the motions, I noticed her movements were filled with worry and hesitation. I dodged a swipe from Morgan’s sword. We practiced mostly with a sword and dagger in case we end up having to fight with short-ranged weapons against a long-ranged one.  But I could see that she was still uncomfortable with the twin-bladed swords Mother had given her. As Morgan pulled back at a close-ranged attack from my dagger, she looked at me.

"So, you've been around Don more often. How come?" She asked lightly.

"Does it matter?" I shot back, the statement coming out more as a growl than I anticipated.

"Well, yeah, seeing as the guy you like and who likes you back is worried about you. With good reasons.” Morgan stated.

I felt as my eyes lightened in a humorous way. "Oh? Now who exactly is worried about me, whom I like, sister dear?" I asked with some mock sweetness. Her eyes widen in mild surprise as I said it and I sent a kick right to her chest, sufficiently knocking her to the ground, and then grabbed her fallen sword and pointed it at her neck. "Pull that in a real fight when your opponent isn't holding back and you'll be the next one in our family that's dead, Morgan Halliwell." I looked to the door and threw the sword to the ground. "Sparring is over. I'll be up top. Don't follow me." I said firmly, and just like that I walked out, sheathing my dagger as I went.  I was almost out of the lair when I heard a conversation between two people I cared deeply for.

"..he’ll be ok. His heart-rate is stable for now." Said one voice.

"I know, Don, I saw that for myself.  You’re avoiding the question."  Replied the other sharply.

There’s a sigh from Donny. "Leo, she acts the same. That fight, finding out her sister's dead- it's bound to change her demeanor, but she's still fine from what I've seen." I quickly hid behind a wall, peeking out just barely to watch them.
Leo stopped moving, as he had been previously pacing. "She ruthlessly killed a Foot soldier, Donny! Her eyes have been changing, going cold, emotionless! She's changed..." He protested.
I froze, not even daring to breathe.
Donny shrugged, keeping his attention on cleaning up the area around Master Splinter. "War changes people Leo. I don't know what you want me-"
"She was open before. She'd have talked to me!" Leo yelled.

I saw Morgan come in, and coward further back into the shadows to avoid being seen. "Leo, you have to let this go. Getting mad at Donny for being around Caitlyn isn’t going to solve anything.” My sister said quietly, crossing her arms.

“You can honestly tell me something about her hasn’t changed?!” Leo demanded.

Morgan’s eyes narrowed dangerously in his direction.  “We’ve all changed, Leo- for one, you haven’t slept and your poor attitude reflects that!” She replied.  “You’re a fool if you think I haven’t noticed the change in my little sister, I’m just acknowledging that there are more important things going on!”

“You must have some suspicion, some guess as to why she’s acting this way.” Donny said, as if to ease the tension.

She sighed, closing her eyes briefly.  “The mention of her cold eyes, her withdrawn attitude, and the way her emotions jump around like popping popcorn- yes, Donny, I have a theory.”  Morgan’s eyes opened, yet she remained staring at the ground.  “I think... finding out that Rebecca's dead...killed a part of her, too. Specifically her sanity, her firm grip on reality. And if you hadn’t noticed, Leo- the reason she sticks to Donny is because around him, she’s almost normal again." Morgan said, her tone nearly scolding Leonardo. Heh, Morgan scolding someone. That's new.

"I'm going to go look for her." Leo stated firmly after a moment and turned toward the hall where I was, but I walked out first.

Morgan huffed, uncrossing her arms and looking up at me with little to no surprise in her expression. "How much did you hear?”  She asked, sounding about as tired as I felt.

My look hardened. "Enough." I stated coldly.

"Caitlyn..." I turned towards Donny and just like that, my eyes softened.

"S-sorry... I, um..." I stuttered, face growing red. Why was I feeling this way towards Donny?

Suddenly, the sound of feet pounding echoed through the lair, and I turned to see Raph enter the room clutching a familiar girl with dark brown, curly hair that was very similar to my own. She was bleeding all over, and her blood smeared all over Raph’s plastron. She was passed out, and her face  was stuck in a grimace.  I knew once her eyes opened they would be a hazel color.

"Kylee." Morgan and I said simultaneously.  Her tone was worried, trembling, no louder than a faint whisper as images of Rebecca’s death replied in her mind.  My voice was dark, angry, withdrawn, my eyes dilating once more.

How's this for a Halliwell reunion? The scourge of our family seems to have finally been defeated.