12- Trust Issues (Kylee)

I focused my powers into a tight little invisible knot in my hand, clenching them in a tight fist and wishing that I . I hated my powers, I lost control of them every time I lost control of myself. I wish I'd never been born with powers, I'd be less dangerous there, less of a danger to my sisters.

I'm worried about Caitlyn. Ever since Gram's told us that story, Kit Kat has been terrified of Uncle Wyatt's basement-saying she could hear a voice down there and see the same figure over and over again. I don't know if it's her holding on to every bit of Grandma that she can, if it's her mind getting away with her... or if she's like me.  

Once upon a time-when I was twelve and told grandma about Nightmare for the first time, she seemed really concerned, not because I was terrified of this...she looked like she was scared of me for the first time in my life, because of this character I dreamt of and saw and heard. She said I needed to watch myself at all times. With my powers as violent as they were, with my temper that blew up so easily, with that voice I hear and see myself...I hope Caitlyn isn't like me. Grandma never told me what was wrong about a stupid voice and a nightmare. So I'm left to find out for myself, that's why I don't use my powers that often. Like dad, I want to be normal, I don't want to have to watch everything I do, like a have to with my sisters... my sisters...  

Hey, I'm really proud of Caitlyn and Morgan. I know it's been hard for them to stay away from the sewer mutants, I know they've really wanted to see the turtles, but that they're respecting the authority our parents put on me and obeying my orders? I really appreciate that. I'm glad that they haven't been taking advantage of me working and going down to the sewers, I really oughta reward them sometime for that.

"Little infant Kylee-you don't really believe that they actually respect you? Listen to you? Follow your orders? Don't be naive little girl -they're taking advantage of our absence and going to see those creatures you hate so much..."  The figure out of the corner of my eye whispered hoarsely. And so the game begins once again. 

My head instinctively snaps to where the figure is-but he's gone, like he always is when I turn my head, appearing somewhere else.   "They're good kids. I trust them." I said firmly, squeezing my hand tighter.  

"Trust is for the weak, trust leads to betrayal, trust doesn't belong to you. I'm the only one who knows you Kylee, I'm the only one who hears you. I'm the only one here for you..." His raspy voice chuckled as his form hovered closer.    

"That's not true- you can't make me believe that." I growled. I'm not letting him get to my head this time.   He  laughed, turning my bones to ice with fear and rebellion.  On instinct, I relaxed my hand and felt my powers surge back inside of me.

"Stop lying to yourself. We both know I own you, you belong to me- tied to me until I have no more use for you. I can get you to believe whatever I want you to. We are the same, you and I."  

Rage filled tears suddenly spilled from my eyes and a vase jumped into my hand it seemed like. "I AM NOTHING LIKE YOU!" I roared, throwing the vase at Nightmare. He disappeared as the vase shattered on the wall. I huffed and huffed until the red cleared away from the edges of my eyes and then I realize what I did. Grandma had always been right- I've always known that. I need to watch myself.  

"Oops....I hope that wasn't valuable in anyway" I said, biting my thumb and placing the other hand on my hip.  

"Kylee? Everything alright in here?" Kit Kat and Mo came into the parlor and saw the shattered glass on the floor. They looked at me with surprise, their eyes demanding to know what happened up here.  

"Don't worry about it you two. It's nothing I promise." I replied, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Now now-that's not very nice. I'm not nothing." His voice hisses and chuckles at the same time, I ignore it.  

"Girls, I gotta bone to pick with you." I say roughly, my voice a low growl. The girls cling to each other, scared.  

"Are we in trouble?" They squeak together.   '

"Oh you bet you are! Following my rules?! Respecting my authority?! I MIGHT JUST HAFTA GIVE YOU A FREE GIFT CARD TO THE ALL YOU CAN EAT CANDY BAR!" I bellowed, waiting for them to catch on.  

"We're sorry! Sorry! Sorry sorry...wait..what?" They asked and flinched when I smiled. I closed my eyes and placed a hand gently on their shoulders.  

"Girls, I'm really proud of you." I told them, looking them both briefly in the eye.  Morgan's greenish brown orbs portrayed instand relief, but Caitlyn looked like she was trying really hard to keep a blank face.  

"Why?...Are you planning to do something evil to us, Ky?" Mo questioned seriously, arching an eyebrow.  

"No, I'm actually proud of you...for once. Look you two, I know it's been really hard on you not being able to see the turtles. I know you really wanna. I'm proud that you haven't been sneaking off while I'm at work or sleeping. You girls really deserve some credit. I know it's been hard but thank you for obeying me." I smiled I am really proud of these two. A lot of the time they have real difficulty following my rules, They always have.    

I mean- a LOT of the time they disobey me and get the whole family in trouble. I get beat up from Dad because I failed to keep them in check, and Mom says I need to focus on my duties to the family and all and should stop messing around in my personal life...  

What personal life? I only have Judas as a friend and I only see him when at work or at the gym. The teachers at my school are even afraid of me. I don't have anything other than taking care of the family. I get all the heat of our parents fury when those two get in trouble and I end up feeling a  lot of resentment toward them. Often I think, "Why don't they follow me? What am I doing to not be a good leader to them?"   

Caitlyn bites her lip and Mo gave her a sharp nudge with her elbow. I mess up their hair and start walking out of the room, humming something pleasant. Maybe my sisters were finally listening to me. They knew I had some wisdom beyond my age and am only trying to do the best I can for them.  

"KYLEE!" I heard Caitlyn wail, and paused. "WE HAVE BEEN SEEING THE TURTLES! WE'VE ONLY KEPT IT SECRET SO THAT YOU DIDN'T GET MAD!"  

I felt as if a piece of metal had sheathed itself inside me and I froze.  

So they have been sneaking behind my back, laughing at my rules, going against my wishes just so that they could have fun with abunch of freaks. Didn't they see that I was trying to protect them from these things? Didn't they realize that what I'm doing is for them?! I felt...betrayed.  

"WAY TO GO MOTOR MOUTH!" Morgan spat. She tried to walk towards me.  "Kylee, it was my idea, not Caitlyn's.  Blame me, not-"  

My breathing is ragged as my powers lash out at the closet thing they can touch, splintering the door into millions of pieces. I heard my sisters scream as glass shattered around them.  I don't even flinch, the red haze beginning to cover my vision again.  Morgan had her arms around Caitlyn, shielding her from the flying glass.  Whatever comes near me explodes into dust.  

"Protect yourselves..." I say quietly, stunned. What have I ever done to be betrayed like this? "I'm done looking after someone who won't listen." And then I walk away, feeling nothing but a cold ache deep in my chest.  

They want the turtles? Fine...they can have their precious turtles...I'm not going to bother telling them 'no' if they'll just do it anyway... When we get home- those two are on their own.

"I told you they couldn't be trusted...I told you they'd betray you no matter what.  You should have listened to me." Nightmare hissed quietly. "You, my servant, do not have the option to trust."