Chapter 21

Alex's POV

I wake up to cold breeze hitting my face. I open my eyes and see myself on a bench in an unfamiliar neighbourhood. The sun had set so it was dark. I get up and try to remember why I ended up here. 

The memories rush back in and I sigh in defeat. I had lost my dad and brother to Hope. I should get home. Everyone would be worried. 

Will they be worried? 

I roll my eyes at my subconscious and try and figure out where I was. After a couple of minutes trying to remember the route back, I decided to ask one of the houses how to get back. I look around and decide to knock on a two-storey house with Christmas lights on. It looked homey and safe. 

I knock and wait for someone to open the door. I start to rub my hands to warm them up as the temperature was dropping. I was about to walk away when the door opened and small women appeared in front of me. She looked to be a mother but she had maintained herself very well.

"How may I help dear?" She asked me.

"I got lost and I don't know how to get back. I was wondering if you can tell me how to get to the bus stop or to Holly Road. Either is fine." I say with a smile.

"Oh dear, come in. It is really cold. I will get my son to drop you off." She offers.

I shake my head and say, "There will be no need for that. I don't want to cause any problems." 

"Nonsense! Now come in before you freeze." She ushers me and I smile at her. 

I take my shoes off and take in the surroundings. The corridor had pictures of the family. The women whose name I learnt was Jodie. She was a brunette and had hazel eyes. 

"Take seat honey, I will make you hot chocolate then my son can take you." I am about to protest but the look on her face told me not to. I smile and take in a seat on the sofa. 

I wonder who her son is. She comes in with a mug of hot chocolate which I gladly excepted. 

"So, how did you get lost?" She asks me out of curiosity.

I sigh, "Some family issues at home and I decided it was a good idea to run out of the house without letting anyone know." I look down at my drink. 

"Aww, sweetie. Wait. Do your parents know where you are?" She asks. 

I shake my head and she places her phone in my hand. "Call them, they will be worried." I nod and she walks out giving me space. 

I call my mum's number and wait for her to pick it up. "Hello." She has been crying. I made her cry.  I am so fucking selfish.

"Mum." My voice cracks. 

"Alex! Is that you? You had us so worried! Are you okay? Where are you? Don't ever run out on us ever again." My mum attacks me with questions.

"Mum, I am okay. I don't know where I am. I knocked on a door and this kind lady offered me her phone to call you." I say with tears running down my face. 

"I'm so glad you're okay. Do you want to pick you up?" My mum asks.

"No, Jodie, the lady that owns the house, insisted that her son took me home even when I told her that I would take the bus. I will be home in about 10 minutes." I say

"Okay honey, I love you." My mum says before hanging up. 

I take my finished cup of cocoa and place it in the sink. I find Jodie standing there and I give the phone back to her. 

"Everything good?" She asks me and I nod. 

"Axel! Come down!" Jodie yells to her son. 

I hear footsteps and see a hot guy in front of me. He has the same hair and eyes matching his mum. He has a sharp jaw and a pointy nose. He was fit.