19• Absentee (p.1)

Lydia and I walk into school the next day, lost in thought.

We didn't get much sleep last night even though we didn't find anything helpful on what's happening to me, we took note of the strange things happening to me and how i'm changing.

Lydia said it reminded her of when she started becoming a banshee around my age but it didn't help us understand it much.

I couldn't be a banshee though,
could I?

Surely I would've known by now.

We walk through halls quietly, ''i think i'm just gonna go watch practice'' i say to her with a tired smile, she smiles with a nod and i turn heading out to the field.

***

I sit down on the bleachers as i watch everyone scurrying around the field, try outs.

''That is captain material!'' Coach yells proudly at a player as Liam runs over to Coach and Scott, clinging to his gear breathlessly.

''You're late'' They say in unison, Coach speaks bored and uninterested, while Scott stresses.

''Which makes you not captain material'' Coach says getting in Liam's face, Scott panics.

''Liam is captain material he's--'' Scott gets cut off as Coach blows his whistle in his face.

''Lett's go! gather around! listen up. Thanks to McCall's selfish desire to focus on his 'grades', and his 'graduation', we are leaderless. You wanna be a champion? you wanna be a hero? now's your shot!'' Coach yells dramatically making me chuckle.

Everyone gets ready in a line with Liam standing at the front.

''All right, all you wannabe captains, I wanna see you guys tear each other apart'' Coach says excitedly with a crazed look in his eyes.

I look around and my eyes fall upon Nolan looking over at me, my heart skips and i feel the butterflies in my stomach roar.

I wave shyly as he smiles sending a wave back, the kiss replays in my head and i get an overwhelming feeling of anxiety.

What if he regrets it now? i attempt to distract myself as the whistle blows and i watch everyone run.

Someone pushes Liam down and everyone stops running.

''Definitely not captain material there Dumb-bar!'' Coach yells at Liam still on the ground.

I sigh worried, Liam looks like he's about to blow any minute.

''Dunbar'' Liam spit, looking at Coach.

''Yeah, that's what i said'' Coach acts like he didn't do anything.

"you said Dumb-bar'' Liam says getting angrier.

''And your mouth just bought you equipment duty'' Coach says in his face, Liam throws his helmet walking away.

I sigh walking down the bleachers, ready to walk into the school when Nolan runs over to me.