Chapter 23

'We're going to talk tomorrow,' I whispered to the girls as I got back to our corner.

'Yeah, I could hear Percy from here, the dimwit,' said Angelina, scowling at him.

I turned to see Percy patrolling near the door of the common room. So he thought he could stop Black if he tried to come in again, did he? As if.

'Well, get some sleep then Katie,' said Alicia.

'Yeah. G'night,' I said, propping myself against the back of a nearby chair and closing my eyes. Too much had happened today.

When I opened my eyes again, light was streaming through the opened curtains of the common room, right on my face. I bet Percy had opened them. I blinked groggily, and sat up, feeling my shoulder twinge and stiffness in my neck. I should have gone back to my bed instead of sleeping in the common room at some crooked angle. Everyone else was still asleep. I slowly got to my feet. I rubbed my eyes and turned to go up to the girl's stairs.

I dragged my feet slowly up the stairs, pushing open the door to my dorm. I went over to my trunk and pulled out my uniform, then went to the shower.

When I came back down to the common room ten minutes later, everyone was still asleep. Was I the only one who ever got up early around here? I stood at the foot of the stairs, then saw that Percy was asleep at the door. So at least if Black comes in, he'll get trapped behind it. Maybe even squashed! I had to press a hand to my mouth to stop myself from laughing. Bad evil Katie!

I was still grinning from that thought when I saw Oliver. He was asleep in the chair where I had left him, his hand cupping his face. On impulse, I tiptoed quietly over to where he was sleeping, smiling as I sat down next to his chair. He looked so peaceful, and well, rather adorable.

The portrait door swished open. Sure enough, Percy woke up with a startled squawk as McGonagall stepped through. People were starting to wake up now, thanks to Percy.

'Oh, sorry about that Weasley.' Said McGonagall as she shut the door, Percy grimacing as he got to his feet.

'That's ok Professor,' he said, rubbing his knee. McGonagall faced the common room, and addressed everyone.

'Well, the other teachers and I have all searched the castle, but Black has managed to escape us again. I would like all of you to be extra cautious from now on. I would also like to remind you that you have classes beginning in an hour, so you had better get ready and go to breakfast.' McGonagall smiled at the groans of protest that met that comment as she left. Everyone was grumbling as people began to wake up and head for their dormitories. I stood up. Oliver was still asleep. I reached over and gently shook his shoulder.

'Oliver, wake up,' I said.

'That won't work.' It was Fred. 'He'll never wake up if you whisper at him like that. He needs a good shock to get going in the morning.' And with that, he shoved me into Oliver's lap.

Which effectively woke Oliver up. 'AH! What -oh,' was what he said when he discovered that I was on his lap. Fred laughed.

'Sorry Oliver,' I said, kicking Fred in the shin and attempting to get up. However, Oliver was holding onto my waist, which made getting up a little difficult. By this time, Fred had limped off, out of the range of my leg and its attached shoe.

'Oliver, let go of me,' I said quietly. I felt him sit up, then his warm breath on the back of my neck.

'I don't want to let you go Katie,' he murmured in my ear. I took a deep breath, and turned to face him. He was closer than I thought. I found myself about four centimetres from his face. The look on his face was unbearable, and his eyes looked so sad.