Chapter 20

Angelina and Alicia were already in bed by the time that I got to the dorm. I thankfully fell into a deep sleep pretty much as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Before I knew it, Alicia was shaking me awake.

'Come on Katie, you've got about ten minutes to get ready and be in the Great Hall!' she yelled in my ear.

'Ah! Easy on the ears!' I yelled back. I opened my eyes, feeling terrible. I groaned and rolled over in my bed, managing to get tangled up in the sheets. Alicia reached into my trunk, and the next thing I knew, my head was enveloped in various articles of clothing.

'Quick, get dressed,' she said, shutting the lid of my trunk.

'Angelina and me will take your trunk down,' she said. I grabbed my clothes and walked into the bathroom, rubbing my eyes. I dropped my clothes and walked over to the basin, splashing cold water on my face.

'Katie, come on!' yelled Angelina, banging on the door.

'Yeah, yeah,' I grumbled, pulling on the black jeans and jumper that Alicia had thrown at me. Colours to suit my mood, I thought wryly, swinging open the door and walking straight out of the dorm and joining Alicia and Angelina in the common room. Gryffindors were already trickling out and heading down to the hall.

I saw Oliver coming down the boy's stairs, his hair tousled from sleep and his eyes only half open. I smiled sadly, feeling my eyes prickle. I had lost someone who managed to look good even when he was only half awake. Then I turned to Angelina, and smiled brightly, my chest feeling like lead.

'Let's go,' I said. She smiled suddenly in return.

'Someone perked up, didn't they,' she replied.

'Indeed they did,' I said, linking my arm through hers.

'Alicia's a bit preoccupied,' she said with a smirk. I giggled as I saw George out of the corner of my eye.

'Best not to wait for her then,' I said, and both of us made our way out of the common room and down to the hall.

'Eat something Katie,' said Angelina, loading up on eggs and toast.

'I can't,' I replied. Angelina's eyebrows shot up.

'You're not giving up food, are you?' she said, her eyes glittering. I didn't like the way she was gripping her knife. Food was a precious thing to Angelina.

'No no Ange, but I'm just too excited,' I said.

She relaxed, dropping her knife on her plate and scooping up a mouthful of eggs.

'What about?' she choked out around her mouthful.

'My sister's picking me up from the platform today.' I said. I hadn't seen my older sister, Emma, for about a year. She had been on an intensive training course to become a Hit Wizard for the Ministry. I admired her heaps, and I loved it when people commented how alike we were.

Soon the Gryffindor table was full. I saw Oliver sitting at the end of the table with Fred and George, who was sitting next to Alicia. I grinned and angled my head. Angelina looked, and then began to grin as well.

I did manage to have a glass of pumpkin juice before Dumbledore stood up and announced that it was time to go to the carriages.

Everyone rose and made their way out, dodging puddles on their way to the carriages.

Angelina and I piled into a carriage, and were shortly followed by Alicia, George, Fred and Oliver. He gave me a smile when he stepped in, and I returned it. After all, he didn't know that he had been seen, so I was going to play along until he said something. I didn't think I'd have long to wait.