Chapter 15

The rest of the day passed quickly, and before I knew it, it was time to go back to the castle for the Halloween feast. I hadn't been alone with Oliver for the rest of the day, but I did catch him looking at me a few times in the Three Broomsticks.

After we had finished off a round of butterbeer, we went to Dervish and Bangs - Angelina needed a new set of scales. Then, as we were on our way back to the carriages, I ducked back into Honeydukes and grabbed three blocks of their best chocolate. You've never had anything like it - muggle chocolate isn't bad, but it doesn't compare.

When we all reached the Great Hall, chilled to the bone from gusty winds that were promising more snow, we were greeted by an amazing scene. A cloud of bats fluttered amongst orange streamers, and everywhere there were candle filled pumpkins.

And of course, the food was spectacular. I had deliberately not eaten lots that day, in anticipation of the feast. I was so glad I had. Roasts, bakes, tureens of vegetables and fresh baked bread rolls were in abundance on each house table. Finally I sat back, pushing my plate away. I was stuffed.

Slowly, along the house tables, people began doing as I had. Dumbledore got to his feet, his eyes twinkling. The Hogwarts ghosts had already provided entertainment with a spot of formation gliding - and Nearly - Headless Nick received tumultuous applause with a re-enactment of his botched beheading.

Dumbledore held up his hands. ' Now that your growing appetites have been satisfied,' and he beamed at the hall, 'will everyone please proceed to their dormitories. A happy Halloween to all.' Everyone applauded. I saw Fred whisper something in George's ear. Oh great, the Gryffindor Tower wouldn't be safe tonight. No doubt the twins had something planned. I caught George's eye, and he gave me an innocent smile as everyone rose and began to make their way out of the hall.

'So George, what's planned for tonight?' I said as I caught up to him at the doors.

'Maybe I should be asking you that question,' he replied as we reached the stairs.

'What?'

He lowered his voice. 'Oliver told us what nearly happened today.'

I felt myself blush; George saw this and smiled happily. 'Oh good, so you do like him.'

'George....' I said in a warning tone.

'Oh, don't worry Katie, I won't say anything to wreck it. Just, well, don't take too long in letting him know, because he's liked you for ages, and he sounded so wistful when he told us he nearly-'

'What?' I said. We had reached the tower, but no one was going in.

'Let me through please,' said Percy, bustling past George and I. Then I heard his voice from the front of the crowd.

'Someone get Professor Dumbledore. Quick.'

It was only a minute before Dumbledore came sweeping through the crowd, the Gryffindors parting to let him through.

'What's going on?' I heard Alicia whisper in my ear.

'I dunno,' I said, turning to answer her. That's when I saw Professor McGonagall, Professor Lupin and Snape come hurrying up.

'Look,' I hissed at Alicia. She turned, then I heard Dumbledore start talking.

'- tell him to search every painting in the castle for the Fat Lady.'

That's when I saw the portrait - it had been slashed with something sharp, great strips of canvas hanging from it.

'You'll be lucky!' said a cackling, gleeful voice. I knew it was Peeves before I looked up to see him hovering over the crowd.