Chapter 7

As it turned out, the bed wasn't as warm as Oliver's hug, but I got to sleep anyway. When I woke up the next morning, the rest of the girls were still asleep, and judging by their faces, it had been a big welcome back last night. I grinned at the mess Angelina's hair was in, wondering how the heck she was going to untangle it. My stomach growled, and I remembered that I hadn't had any dinner. I grabbed my favourite pair of jeans and a black v-neck tee and headed for the shower. No one bothered with robes on the weekends unless they had to.  

When I finally got out of the shower, I had to pull on a jumper. Bloody Scottish weather.  

Scottish.  

Scottish equals Oliver.

  Argh, must not think about him. I might actually do something stupid. It is so much easier to have normal conversations with guys that you don't fancy, so you don't make a fool of yourself. My stomach growled again, and trying to push thoughts of Oliver out of my mind, I walked down to the Great Hall, hoping that breakfast would be something hot.  

The doors of the hall were already open - I wondered if they were ever closed, because I didn't remember them being shut, only when the first years arrived for the first time.

  And it was empty. Yes! I had never been the first one there before. Then I rolled my eyes and giggled at my own childishness. Excited about being the first one there for breakfast. I must be going crazy.

  I sat down at the Gryffindor table, and a plate with scrambled eggs and toast and a jug of pumpkin juice appeared in front of me.  

I had nearly polished them off when the rest of the school began to filter in. I watched as the Slytherin contingent came in, surprised to see Malfoy's arm draped around the waist of a girl with long blond hair wearing Slytherin robes, that I had never seen before. I grinned as an evil though crossed my mind. Malfoy's weakness had a female form. 'What's the smirk for, Miss Bell? Or should I be saying for whom?'

  It was the Ravenclaw chasers that I was friends with, Tara, (another) Katie and Fiona. There was always a bit of friendly rivalry between those three and Angelina, Alicia and myself when Gryffindor took on Ravenclaw in quidditch.

  'Oh, I just noticed that Malfoy seems to have acquired himself a girlfriend.'

  All three heads snapped around with chaser precision.  

'Hey, that's the new Slytherin chick, Tegan,' said Tara.

And eyes still riveted on the couple, they walked over to the Ravenclaw table to gossip, no doubt.

  While they were talking, Gryffindor's had made their way over to the table, Fred and George already having reached it, sat down, and promptly fell asleep again.  

Oliver walked up behind them, shaking his head and sitting down next to Fred. He looked up at me and smiled. I started to laugh. He had obviously slept well - his hair was sticking up a little at the back, giving him a roguish look I could quite get used to. Very Oliver.

  He noticed my grin. 'What's so funny?', he said, clearly puzzled.   'Your, um, unique hairdo.'   He gasped. 'You mean you don't like it? And I did it especially for you,' he said, trying to look downcast. I smiled at his performance.  'Did you take acting lessons from George?' I replied. He sat up straighter.

'That reminds me.' He elbowed Fred in the ribs, who woke up with a tremendous jump and knocked George hard enough so that he fell off the seat, much to the amusement of the rest of the school. George got to his feet with as much dignity as he could and cuffed Fred over the head, before silently resuming his seat. The laughter died away. Oliver cleared his throat.