Chapter 8

I could feel him running my hair through his fingers. That may have been all fine and good, but it was beginning to tickle a bit.

Oliver was still serious though, not realising what he was doing.

'Was this the reason you were sick?' he said suddenly, holding out the note. All thoughts of laughter evaporated, and that disgusting taste returned. I swallowed nervously.

'What makes you say that?' I answered, trying to keep my voice steady.

He was watching me carefully now, monitoring my reaction. 'Well, I noticed that you looked up before you ran over to the basin, so I assumed that you saw something to make you sick. I happened to be the closest one to your locker, so I investigated and found this. Is there someone-' I shook my head, looking up at him and seeing realisation on his face as he understood.

'Katie, trust me enough to tell me what's wrong. Please.' His eyes were pleading with me. I had to smile, he was looking so worried.

'ok Oliver, just stop looking at me like that.' I said, still smiling. He grinned back.

' I think that the note was from Flint. Now I am not totally sure, but that is my best guess based on, um, some things that have, uh, transpired.'

' Transpired, huh?' he said, his smile fading rapidly. I saw him clench his fis

I wrinkled my nose at him. ' Yeah, I figured that your brain could handle 'transpired'. I'm sure there is room for a few more complex words in there. Unless, as folklore has it, you have filled all your grey matter with quidditch information. It appears to be the only thing you think about,' I said nonchantly. Now would he take the bait?

You bet.

'Oi, quidditch is most certainly not the only thing I think about.'

'Sure, Oliver, sure. But if you mean that, don't say it too loud, it will wreck your reputation,'

'Katie, that's not fair. There are other things to life than quidditch. Sometimes.'

'Sometimes, hey. Well, it's good to see that you think about eating and sleeping as well.' ' oh, I think about other things as well you know.'

'Like classes.'

'No, not just classes.' He said in a low voice. Was he being suggestive? I looked at him and decided he was - his eyes were sparkling. Fine, game on.

I shifted in my seat so I was sitting closer to Oliver, and dug him in the ribs with my elbow. '' Do expand on that thought. I am intrigued.'' I was rewarded with an eyebrow twitch.

'' ah, you know,''and he started to go slightly pink. He was so boyishly cute when he was embarrassed. I smirked as he stared across the room at a hanging on the wall.

''what Oliver, the opposite sex?'' I said, unable to stop myself from smiling as he looked at me, going red as he did so. ''ah, so now I've discovered your elusive secret, m'boy. You are like many other males in your year, drooling over anything in a short skirt. Am I right?'' That provoked him.

''Katie, I'll have you know that whilst many guys in my year do find anything in a short skirt irresistible, I don't. I don't know why, but I can't, I dunno, respect them as much. There isn't that kind of mysterious element, I guess.'' He smiled, then shrugged." Anyway," and here his eyes went a little misty, "the girl I've kind of fallen for is very, um, special to me."

Hang on, if he liked me, why didn't he say so? I began to feel a little queasy. Maybe he didn't like me after all; maybe his feelings had changed since the message had been passed along the line to me. How old was Angelina and Alicia's information anyway? They had mentioned it was Oliver's fifth year, and this was his last.

Suddenly I felt like an idiot. Stupid for thinking that he might actually like me, and even more idiotic to believe, even briefly, that he did. Now I just wanted to get away. From Oliver, from the feelings I had finally admitted having for him. I abruptly stood up.

I tried to keep smiling. I couldn't not like Oliver, but now I needed to not be near him. So I did the one thing I knew I did well, especially if I have to hide my emotions. I began to act again, once again glad that I had been trained at The Fred and George Weasley Institute Of Dramatic Arts. It was my first and best line of defence. When it came to Oliver, it was also my last.

"Ah well Oliver, I approve so long as she doesn't affect your keeper duties."

He smiled up at me, his arm still stretched along the place where my head had been resting only seconds ago.

"I'll try my best." He said quietly. Damn those gorgeous eyes of his. Hell no, don't stop there, damn his whole gorgeous face. His irresistible accent. But if he was happy, then.

"Seeya Oliver."

"'Bye Katie."

I turned around and walked to the stairs of the girl's dorms, hoping I wouldn't have to face my expectant friends. Fortunately, they were both whispering in the bathroom, and I heard them discussing lipgloss flavours. I heard my name mentioned.

"Do you think we should get Katie to try this one? It's chocolate, and I think Oliver's favourite flavour is chocolate." It was Alicia. They both giggled hysterically.

Chocolate. The colour of his eyes. No, I couldn't fall like this.

No.

Not like this.

Too late.

I sighed, and got into bed, silently drawing the curtains. I hoped sleep would delay my life for a while.

But I think I like him, but more than like. Oh no.

I closed my eyes, and snuggled under the covers, trying to block out the giggles echoing from the bathroom, as well as the thoughts in my head.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Katie! When will they both man up and tell each other how they feel! Oh wait, I know the answer to that! Ah, the perks of being the writer. ;)

ALSO,

I use my writery powers to hereby dedicate this chapter to ChocolateKisses821 who was my first reader and has followed this story ever since. If you get the chance, you should fan her. She's very nice and has a very nice selection amongst her reading lists. Thank you ChocolateKisses821, for making my dream feel like it was worthwhile.

Mischief Managed,

-Kat