Sept 26th: Got Music Theory?

I have an awful cold but I hope you are doing well!

It's important as an indie musician to grow in theoretical knowlege. I try. I need to do it but it's like learning a foreign language.

Not all songwriters/indie musicians take music theory seriously. Some great ones get by with just a handfull of chords, a great sense of rythm and a creative mind. Kudos to them!

Those are all necessary, well and good...but there is much to be gained by learning even small amounts of music theory!  The more you and I become aware of it and can apply it to our instruments/songwritung the better. Comp and songwriting decisions become more intentional and it keeps us from making unecessary mistakes.

If I really get adept at it, I may even be able to tweak people's emotions and create flow just by applying it intentiinally into my songs.

I can't play piano although I am learning. This causes problems for me when I am comping my songs on a synth. I feel this on the complicated song, The Vine.

I've had to draw in one note at a time and adjust the sustain for each chord manually. Then I marked the contents of each chord, listen to the intervalls and see if the chord's name displayed in Logic - to see if I have the right chord in that major scale.

I have had to learn some basics just to get by and I wish I'd taken more than one music theory class in high school. But now I am hard at it.
Udemy has cheap online courses If there is an ever growing amount of great videos pn Youtube to get you on your way to musical greatness.

Now, I am a guitarist and Steve Stine is a great tip for those of you who want to translate music theory onto your fretboard. Enjoy the video at the top!

Who is your favorite YouTube music theory guru?

One thing for sure is that I've found that watching a combination of YouTubers who love to explain music theory is part of my weekly video diet.

It's better to watch one video from a series at a time and really apply what you've  learned after each one before hopping to some other channel. Good luck!

Link
STEVE STINE https://youtu.be/E4DDVLMsiLw

Btw I just updated my homepage. Let me know what you think.

Https://www.featherheadmedia.com

Until next time

Until next time.