Backup and Maintence

Here is another important, yet undiscussed, part of being an indie musician: you've got to make sure that things keep running up to date. Doing so will save you time and money. It takes time to change some strings or leave an instrument for fine tuning, but it is better to take care of them and get a better recording too. 

In the same way, taking care of your computer and hardware and preparing for the worst is a good thing to take time to do because it will save you cash and spare you headaches in the future if all hell should break loose. 

In order to be an indie musician, you have to be something that Swedes call a "allt-o-allo" - someone who can do a little bit of almost everything. It isn't enough that you and I make music, we have to keep the things that help us make music doable and that includes keeping things technically backed up and maintained.

Maintenance

Guitars: I take my guitars every once and a while to Guitarist in Malmö to get them fine tuned.  A few years after buying them, they need an adjustment and every now and then you'll notice that they need a further adjustment if you are having trouble getting them tuned. Yesterday I noticed it was time to change my guitar strings again. Don't put it off. We can't just keep using them when they lose their resonance because of dirt, sweat and tears.

NEVER HANG A GUITAR ON AN EXTERNAL WALL. It might get totally ruined by the difference between the temperature and or moisture in the room as compared to the wall, causing the wood to crack or become deformed. Never keep it close to a radiator for the same reason. AND, try to keep the moisture in the room at about 50%. 

Dust: Dust is an issue to be reckoned with. Dust can get stuck in a microphone and ruin its performance. Keep them in their boxes or covered when not in use! I made covers for my Novation keyboard and my microphone out of fabric I found at a second hand store. I kind of like the pattern as well! 

 I kind of like the pattern as well! 

Cleaning your Mac

1. Clean your Mac Yourself: And, lately I've noticed that my MacBook Pro's fans kick up as soon as I get started editing. That means I have to get the dust out of the box. I saw some videos about how to do this. I am going to ask around and check my options. Here is a video i looked at. Thing is I am afraid that if I botch it up, I won't be able to pay for repairs. But if you are handy and unafraid here you go:

2. Let Apple fix it? The second option is to take it to Apple Store nearby. Then they want you/me to pay for that job. But they won't say just how much. When I asked them, they said that they don't do computer cleaning. They do repairs. Duh. In my opinion, dusting off the inner parts of a Mac is a repair. They said that if I booked a free consultation with a service person they could take a look at it and maybe get rid of eventual dust. But, they didn't know how much that would cost. Why the heck can't they just say it costs such and such, just bring it in? I would rather that a professional do this but I don't like to work with businesses that don't give me a clear answer. 

3. Local Computer Repair Shop: The third option is that I go to a local computer repair store that I have worked with earlier and they said they would do it for:  I choose option 3. 

Do what is best for you....

Backup files

Because we all make music in the box these days, keeping track of our programs is vital. Let's say that your computer breaks down? Do you have backups? Of your music files? Of your plugins? Etc? 

Here is one way to make a backup disc for your MacBook (for the technically inclined): 

I thought that this video was over my head. If you get it fine. 

1. Buy a USB flash drive at least 8GB (or 1 TB if you are going to copy everything.) and preferably function in a USB 3.0 drive.  

2. Follow the instructions on the video above. Whalla!

In this video you find an alternative way to create a backup disc for your Mac : 

How about your Waves licences? Keep your receipts and don't use the recovery or repair function in Waves Central unless you lose your computer or it dies.

I can't cover everything that can go wrong here, nor do I want to take the time to do so. All I hope to do with this chapter is to remind you that you can't just put maintenance off. Have a plan and be prepared. It will save you time and money if your do and your music will love you for it. 

Last, but not least, BACK UP YOUR MUSIC FILES CONSTANTLY

The are many in the cloud services where you can store your music and share it with others, DropBox, iCloud Drive, MEGA, to name a few. You can also use external hard drives. What ever you use, (I use both), use them and have a routine for your backups. Every day, every other day once a week, whatever fits you. Just see to it to have a back up or two. 

To get more great tips subscribe to my Wattpad account for free.

 I'm working on my debut album, Change My Mind. Check out how far I've come and how it is to find real peace of mind in a stressful world at: www.featherheadmedia.com

Links: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/resources/tips-articles/4-ways-to-backup-your-music-files

https://linktr.ee/ekitzing to go to the gateway for more my music, read my blog and more