December 1, 2017: Friday & Black Friday Music Deals

In this episode, I talk about plugins, a Christmas smoothie recipe and music theory courses, and why I do music.

December already!?!!!!!!

Writing

I started the day by writing in the stress chapter of the Change My Mind book. It is coming along well although the album has much greater priority. I write well in the morning hours and mix well in the afternoon/evenings. I don't know why...that's just how I do it.

Quiet time: was from Psalm 139 and others (1) wow!
"You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."
Psalm 139:1‭-‬10 NIV

So I KNOW that God knows me, helps me out and is my helper in everything in every moment, no matter where I am. That is AWESOME!

 Practice

It was a bit short today but I have a lot to do...(excuses, excuses...) I did vocal warm up exercises at least.

I didn't get much of anything done except write this. Oh I did finally complete my application/contract and send it in along with all the all the songs for the Change My Mind album to CCLI.

It's Friday today and recently it was Black Friday

What does an audio freak like me do on Black Friday? Buy a few new plugins, of course. (A plugin is a little and specific audio program that works within your DAW - a bigger program for making music). Last year I bought the Waves Gold package for a fraction of the typical cost and way less than a friend of mine. I paid 2000 SEK while he had paid about 15 000 SEK a few years earlier. Poor guy! The Waves gold package is a must. I use it all the time. I got an additional plugin for free at the time called GTR for transforming my electric guitar's sound = great.

This year I bought Soundspot's bundle, including Kickbox, Overtone, MSW1, Propane, and Perculate for only about 1 GBP a piece. The Kickbox plugin magically helped my kick to pop out of the Change My Mind mix perfectly which was something very much needed. I also bought a synthesizer for 7 GBP but I can't seem to get it to work yet...I'll let you know what I think about the others later on. Not sure how or when I am going to use the other plugins of the bundle from Soundspot I have played around with them a bit, though. (2)

My first plugin tip is this. If you know you need a Waves package or some other great plugin, never pay full price and, if possible, wait until they give you the Black Friday deals! You will save a fortune.

Second plugin tip is not to buy much at all. Try to get by with what you have as long as you can, using what came with your DAW (Digital audio workstation such as Logic or Protools).

Music theory

I also bought a comprehensive college course in music theory just to brush up on it, from Udemy (3) for 10 GBP. A great Black Friday deal. If you rush on over I think that their sale is still on. Udemy has a lot of great courses. I'll let you know what I think as I go along. Starting it soon.

And while I was at it I bought Ari Herdstrand's book about making it in the New Music Business. (My husband ordered me to get it as a Christmas present from him. Thanks, Johan!) So I should get it within the week.

So, I guess I have a lot to learn now....

BTW:

Musichelptechguy on YouTube is almost a guru at this stage. I try to look at his tutorials as often as I can. Making this dream finally come true means constantly learning and constantly applying information and new techniques. It's challenging and fun.

Here is his first in a series of music theory for music producers that I love:

Exercising to music: I initially thought that today would be a stretching, cross runner and jump rope day. It turned out to be a long walk in Ystad (pic at the top) day to get my oldest daughter her Christmas present.  My goal is to get my heart rate up some days by dancing to music and lifting kettle bells but it didn't happen this week.

My choice of music varies from day to day but I usually find something worthy on Spotify or Praise Live.

Of course, I am a bit "damaged" my profession when I listen because I listen to things differently than a normal music consumer - I analyze everything.....to get new ideas and inspiration. Right now I am listening to Aaron Shust and how they mixed his "Stillness". They didn't just use the tips I shared with you yesterday on the hook, they even used those tricks before the instrumental parts. The days when I can "just enjoy" listening to streaming music are over forever. Sigh!

Here is his video if you would like to listen for yourself. It is a flowing charming song.

Food Tip!

Although I mix music I do have to eat occasionally too. Today I am going to do an ice cold Smoothie. I love smoothies and they love me. Only lactose-free ones, of course! Here's a Christmas Smoothie recipe I am going to try.

Mix:

- Vanilla or natural yogurt or Soy alternative

- frozen lingonberries or frozen cranberries

- frozen strawberries

Slice a kiwi (or some green fruit) on top.

Dust over a little nutmeg or some other Christmas spice(s)

Use a red and white candy-striped straw to enjoy

Today I am sending the lyrics with chords for all the songs on the Change My Mind Album to CCLI. Whew! That was a job! Now back to learning, mixing and what not.

Now for the deep quote of the day:

"Purpose in life is far more important than property or possessions. Having more to live with is no substitute for having more to live for. 'The two greatest days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why' (Mark Twain)."
- Nicky Gumbel

Purpose is why I do music. Purpose is the noun.
Passion for it and for those who listen to it is the adjective.

I have found passionate purpose doing the music for those who want/need to hear it. My hope is that they, too will find and rest in God's unconditional love.

References/Resources:

1) Nicky Gumble's Bible in One Year 2017 on the Bible App. = LOVE IT! This was from day 339

2) Plugin Boutique: https://www.pluginboutique.com

3) Udemy:

https://www.udemy.com/music-theory-for-electronic-musicians/

https://www.udemy.com/music-theory-complete/