Chapter 58: Keep running

"My mother?" I feign shock.

"Yes, your mother." Luther clarifies and takes another swig from his whiskey. "And don't pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about. One of Henry's men actually work for me as a spy. They informed me about you being Henry's supposed daughter after overhearing your conversation with him."

"I-I'm sure this is a misunder--"

"Misunderstanding?" He arches his eyebrow. "I'm afraid not. My men are faithful to me and only deliver the truth."

"What if they are lying this time?" I ask.

"They know not to lie." He says. "If they do... they die."

"You're a sick man," I spit. "No wonder she left you."

That sentence immediately earned me a slap. The sound of Luther's hand meeting my cheek with great force resonated throughout his office.

"You sick bas-"

"Really? Bastard?" I prod further while ignoring the burning sensation of the growing hand imprint on my cheek. "Everyone knows that you took that leading role."

Hailey, Hailey, Hailey... do you want me to staple your mouth for you?

"I will kill-" Luther bites his tongue before finishing his sentence. He then clears his throat, before pulling the collar of his navy tux to straighten it out. "You know what?" He composes himself, "I'm not even going to bother myself with you. I'll just have someone to throw the trash out."

I hope that trash doesn't involve me.

With that blabber mouth, the trash is you.

"Tristan, send someone to get your girlfriend out of my face," Luther motions with his hand to Tristan, and walks to sit in his chair. "Now please."

"I'll Take her." Tristan walks to and pulls my arm, hurting me in the process. "Let's go." He orders me.

"Take your filthy hands off of me!" I shake me arm fervently until it is out of his grasp.

"Continue with this little rant, Angel," He whispers in my ear. "-and you'll be escorted by Luther's men. And trust me, they won't be as gentle."

"Don't call me Angel," I warn. "You lost that right the moment you betrayed me. I bet your friends were in on this too." I mutter, remembering how Chase and Jordan were also close to Henry and Luther.

I don't know if my ears betrayed me or not, nor if my imagination longed for these words, but I think he muttered words along the lines of...

I didn't betray you.

............................

Another day.

Another twenty-four hours of loneliness and excruciating silence.

This time I wasn't left seated in an uncomfortable metal chair, but was left chained to the lifeless walls and left seated on the painfully cold floor, without a soft pillow to sit on.

I haven't seen Tristan since the encounter with Luther, not that I want to see him. In fact, the thought of him causes bile to rise up in my throat. His once handsome face, to me now looks like something someone threw up. Disgusting and cringe-worthy.

The moment I find something I thought to be good, is the moment life smacks me hard in the face to the realisation that I will never be given a chance to be joyful. Instead I only deserve the painful perks of deceit, betrayal and hatred.