Chapter 56: What's going on?

"We'll go in together," Tristan motions with his index finger between us, "-while you guys enter through the back entrance." He reminds the rest of group.

This is it. The moment I dreaded. The moment I prayed would never come. I wish the sun had never visited us today, I wish it had given the moon another twelve ours of enjoying its glorious blue rays.

I long to set my feet once again in Tristan's family wood house. I long for the mesmerizing scenery of the forest coated with a thick blanket of silver.

Never have I thought such a day would be set out along my path of an already complicated life. I never thought my life would be filled with such guile, that I even need to liberate myself from its sharpest claws.

So the second has arrived... it's time to be set free.

"One, two, three!" Tristan roughly breaks the door open, almost freeing it from its weakened hinges.

We enter the trampled down building, with me closely trailing behind a determined boyfriend. Sensing a peculiar eerie of discomfort, I draw out the metal object, which has been weighing my jeans down, and I safely secure it in my straightened out arms.

"Let's search the area," I state. "But it's best if we split up."

Tristan nods,"Shout if you need help."

After giving a slight nod, I walk away from Tristan. To avoid the constant creeking of the worn out wooden floor, I take slow and steady steps towards a creepy looking room. A pungent stench pervades the abandoned room and trails of a sticky substance cling to the walls. I move a few fallen planks out of my way, and I jump in fear when a giant rat runs past my feet.

"Stupid rat!" I mutter to myself.

Under the room's rubble, a steady desk catches my attention. I quickly walk towards it, and clear the specks of wood and dust covering its brown surface. Papers, pictures and files lie on it-- all sporting the same colour of spilled coffee.
I place my gun on the table and lift up one of the photographs scattered on the table. I notice Luther in it, wearing a navy blue suit with a black tie. His arm is slung across an unfamiliar teenager guy around the age of sixteen.

The teenager seems to have some resemblance to Luther. He and Luther both sported the same green eyes and the structure of their faces are alike-- well-defined and same good looks.

After coming to a conclusion that the teenager might be Luther's son, I place the photograph back on the unkempt desk. Just then, another photograph catches my attention-- a picture of my mother and Henry, and another figure was also next to them, but it is not clear enough to try and recognise.

All hidden doubt about Henry has now disappeared. And this finally proves how my mother had lied to me.

The couple looks fairly happy and... in love. I almost gag at the image as I scour it with pure disdain. Looking at my mother with the man I almost hate other than the man she declared my father makes me want to hurl.

I flip the picture so that I can check for any writing behind it. Luckily, a faint cursive handwriting is sprawled in black ink.

1992-05-17

That is the date which was written and still clear enough to read, while the rest of the words also written there, were smudged by liquid.

"Hailey?" Tristan's voice pulls away my gaze from the picture.

"Coming!" I respond quickly, before stuffing the photograph in my jean pocket and grabbing my gun.

I carefully walk out of the room to find Tristan waiting for me in an empty corridor.