Chapter 54: He's a sadist

"Hailey and I will try negotiating with Henry, while you find more information on Luther like we discussed." Tristan says, before slipping into the driver's seat, and I slide into the passenger seat.

"I still don't get why we must kill him." I say while buckling my seat belt.

"Luther always gets what he wants-" he starts explaining and starts the car's engin. "-and he'll do anything to get it. So since you're his new golden treasure, he'll kill anyone in his way of preventing him from getting you." He starts driving.

"What if I decline his offer?" I ask.

"Then he kills you." He answers with a clenched jaw.

"He's a sadist." I mutter, but that does not stop the pinch of fear crawling its way up to my worried conscience.

"Tell me about it." He scoffs.

"Sorry for what happened to your sister." I say. I remember not saying those words to him after he had shared his story with me.

"It's not your fault." A sad smile spreads across his lips.

"And thank you."

"For?" He takes his off the road for a second to glance at me.

"Trusting me." I smile.

"Do you trust me?" A glimmer of worry rests his tone.

"Of course."

"Then you're welcome." He lays a hand on my thigh and begins rubbing circles with his thumb.

A comfortable silence fills the space around us, leaving only the sound of the car driving on smooth tar to fill our ears.

My thoughts become louder and louder as Tristan continues to drive us to Henry's location.

Why did I have to be in this mess?

I blame my brother. It's his fault for making Henry kidnap me. He should've protected me.

Now it's either kill or be killed.

Why couldn't I live a normal life? Like other teenagers. With your biggest worry being whether people like you or what are you going to do after high school. But no, my biggest worry is if I'll get to keep my life. It's if the guys' plan will work out or not.

They contacted a few of their long lost friends who are aware of who Luther is, and some know about his way of doing things.

This mess is really starting to play with my mind. Havoc is erupting in my blood cells and fear is attacking my immune system like an uncontrolled virus.

What if my parents receive a call suddenly, informing them of their daughter's passing?

What if Luther wins?

"Are you going to get out of the car any time soon?" A voice pulls me out of the river of thoughts.

"Sorry." I mutter shyly. "I was a bit distracted."

"Are you okay?" Tristan intertwines his fingers with mine.

"No." I couldn't lie.

"Don't worry, everything will be fine." He assures me.

"Okay."

"Come on, let's go." He releases my hand from his and we both exit the Mustang. I catch up to Tristan's long strides and he loops an arm around my waist and I mirror his action.