Chapter 1

Karen woke up her daughter for the first day of fifth grade. She was a short woman with long reddish brown hair and dark skin with a smile bright enough to brighten the whole room.

"Wake up Liyah" Karen said shaking her daughter gently.
"Mommy I don't wanna go" Aliyah told her mom pulling the cover over her he head and drifting off to sleep.

Aliyah only loved school because she could learn but hated the kids there the boys were mean and the girls always had something rude to say about her. She only had one friend and that was Dominque.

"You have three seconds or you don't get to take cookies to lunch with you today" Karen said backing away from the bed and watching her daughter jump up and run into the bathroom.

Karen laid out her clothes on the bed

"MOMMY" Aliyah yelled from the bathroom she was having a hard time trying to wash her back. Karen came running into the white bathroom and smiled at her
"Can you wash my back for me pretty please with a cherry on top" Aliyah smiled at her mom. Karen grabbed the red washcloth from her daughter and washed her back. Karen smiled at her and washed the soap off of her daughter and dried her off with a towel.

She brought her daughter into the room and helped her put lotion on then helped her with her clothes. "Mommy how do you know that I'm your daughter," Aliyah asked cocking her head to the side. Karen looked at her and smiled. Then brought her to the mirror

"We can tell because we look alike, see we have the same button nose and big brown eyes and dark skin," She said putting their arms against each other.
"Yeah mommy we have the same eyebrows too" Aliyah said pointing to her eyebrows and smiling.
"Yeah baby and the same smile" Karen laughed which made Aliyah giggle.
"Come on let's eat breakfast and then mommy will do you hair into two big puff balls," Karen said smiling.
"Oh and I don't want you getting your clothes dirty playing ball with the boys" She said frowning knowing Aliyah was rough when it came to sports.

Aliyah ran downstairs and smiled at her twin siblings Jackie and John who were on the floor watching SpongeBob. Jackie had her moms and Aliyah's eyes while John had eyes like his dad. But they both had their dads color.
"Good morning babygirl" Travis said kissing her forehead. He was a tall man with the skin tone like a penny and sharp eyes that would soften when he saw the people he loved. "Morning daddy" Aliyah smiled and danced in her chair while her dad made her cereal. He placed the bowl in front of her and she started eating while humming. Karen ran downstairs and started doing her daughters hair. Giving her two giant Puffballs.

After she was finished she watched her daughter get on the bus and she sat down next to her best friend.
"Hi Nique" Aliyah said smiling and poking him and watching her honey brown friend and short cut hair with a smile.
"Hey Liyah" He said smiling back at her they sat in comfortable silence and watched the kids get on the bus. Once they made it to school Dominque and Aliyah sat in the corner and watched the kids come in.

"You think the teacher is gonna be nice" Dominique asked her.
"I hope so" Aliyah shrugged and leaned against Dominique. Aliyah caught a new face in the crowd sitting with the fifth graders he was a cookie brown color and had messy curly hair. Aliyah was immediately attracted to him and the girls must've been attracted to him too because they were all over him asking questions.

He ignored them and walked over to Dominique and Aliyah.
"Why you sitting with that girl" The new kid asked Dominique.
"Hi I'm Aliyah" She said smiling and extending her hand.
He looked at her and gave her a stink face and said"Whatchu talking to me for"
"Because I can idiot" she said standing up and crossing her arms.
"Call me a idiot again and I'll punch you in your mouth " he told her balling up his fist.

Aliyah wasn't afraid of him her daddy told her to fear no one. The new kid saw that she wasn't afraid and smiled at her. Aliyah frowned and looked at Dominique who shrugged.
"What's your name" Dominique asked him.
"Mark" he said smiling and looking at the both of them.

They all ended up in the same homeroom and sat next to each other.
"Hi my name is Mrs.Thearton and my favorite color is Yellow," She said smiling.
"Hi, Mrs.Thearton," the class said in unison.

She smiled at them and waved then gave them icebreakers Recess quickly rolled around and she sat on the bench and watched Dominique play basketball with the boys on the blacktop she would clap for him everytime he made a basket.

"There goes ugly Aliyah" The girls chanted as they walk past her. She saw no point in arguing with them so she just ignored and watched the basketball game.
"GO DOMINIQUE" She yelled and clapped for him once she saw that he made a basket. He looked at her and smiled while giving her a thumbs up.

Mark came back from playing football with his new guy friends and sat down with her. She frowned and got up
"where you goin" He asked her.
"I don't want to be with a meanie who wants to hit me" She told him

Mark didn't want to lose his only girl friend so he forced himself to apologize. She smiled at him and sat back down then jumping up again and started clapping for Dominique. Mark looked at her and smiled
"Wanna play football with me" he asked her.
"Sure" She said getting up and walking towards the football.

"We don't let girls play football with us," A dark skin boy with short cut hair said.
"Yeah, I bet I can get more touchdowns than you" She said crossing her arms.
"You can't even throw a ball" He responded.

Aliyah scoffed and took the ball away from him then threw it at his head which caused the other boys to laugh at him.
"Shut up I wasn't looking but ima get her though," He said picking up the ball and throwing it at Aliyah she caught it and smiled then threw it back at him.
"I thought you said she couldn't throw Steve," Another boy said smiling
"Ayye man I was wrong she got it" Steve responded with a grin.
Mark looked at her and smiled he was happy that he had a girl friend to play with who was athletic too.

The lunch bell rang and she sat with Dominique and Mark.
"Ugly Aliyah" a group of girls chanted walking.
"She ain't ugly fatty," Mark said standing up and talking to the group leader Dominique and Aliyah laughed while The girls got quiet and walked to their table.
"We gonna be buddies forever," Aliyah said smiling them.