2|Out Day

**This pic is Marcus Ivory's Boyfreind**

R A J E

Senior year came to an end, leaving a void in my heart without my best friend by my side. Not seeing her every day took its toll on me, so I decided to call up Ivory and plan a chill girl's day. You know the drill—hair and nails, maybe a bit of shopping. But, of course, I was keeping a little secret about the shopping part.

Our phone call was short and to the point. We agreed that I would pick her up at three o'clock sharp.

I stood before the bathroom mirror, a small smile tugging at my lips as I reflected on everything that had transpired this year. The ache of missing my mother lingered with me every single day. She was always on my mind.

In the bathroom, I followed my usual morning routine, attending to my personal hygiene with swift precision. Once dressed, I grabbed my car keys from the table beside the couch near the front door.

As I hopped into my Mercedes Benz, I could almost hear the question lingering in your mind. How does a nineteen-year-old like me end up with such a luxurious ride? Well, here's the untold truth. Before my mother passed away, she discovered her diagnosis and left behind a will. In it, she bequeathed to me a car already registered under my name and a house located an hour away from the neighborhood where I grew up. I'm forever grateful to have had her as my mother. I only wish I had one more chance to tell her that.

"Hey, peanut to my butter, are you ready?" I playfully sang through the phone line.

Ivory's giggle echoed on the other end before she responded, "Almost, sunshine. Head on over. I'm just saying goodbye to my baby." I let out a sigh as I paused at a red light.

I could hear her give her little one a kiss, and as expected, I rolled my eyes while reaching into my purse resting on the passenger seat. I retrieved a fresh tube of heron lipstick, ready to apply a thick coat to my lips.

"Ewww, get a room, seriously," I complained. "Is Uncle Pop alright?" I inquired, my lips now adorned with the bold shade.

Uncle Pop was the guardian Ivory had lived with since grade school. She had shared the emotional story with me before. It was a devastating house fire that claimed the lives of her parents, younger brothers, and sister. Only Ivory and Uncle Pop managed to survive.

The pain in her voice mirrored the pain I felt, so we rarely discussed it further.

"Yeah, he's fine. He wanted me to tell you 'hey, pumpkin'... and girl, hurry up, my makeup is melting," she grumbled.

A mischievous grin spread across my face as the traffic light shifted to green.

"Shut up. I'm on my way."

I cherished Ivory with all my heart. Nothing in this world could ever break our bond. She was like a sister to me, and if it weren't for her, I'd be left with no one at all.