Joy

A WEEK LATER...

EMILY'S POV:

"Want coffee?" Julie asked fiddling with the buttons of the coffee machine on the counter. "Yes." I answered looking at that day's paper.

Ding-Dong! "I'll get it." I said and walked to the door calmly. As I turned the door-knob I heard a familiar voice: Chase. "Hey Emi!" he greeted me and pulled me into a interesting one-armed hug. I hugged him for a few seconds and then led him to the kitchen.

"Hey baby..." Chase said with an amused voice and walked towards Julie. Julie turned around almost immediately and said "Hey!" with a soft voice. Chase grabbed her waist and pulled her towards himself.

Locking her arms around Chase's neck Julie pulled him into a kiss. I sat back on my chair and watched them with a smile. I was really happy that they were this loving and caring for each other.

"Sorry I couldn't come all week." Chase said as they approached to the table with three coffee cups. "Doesn't matter Chase. You have a life too, a busy life." Julie said and sat beside Chase, across from me.

We had a casual talk until Chase pulled out an envelope. "Emily. Daniel is gone." he said with a calm but soft voice. "Gone!? Just like that!?" I asked with a shocked expression, almost pouring the coffee.

Chase nodded and added "He left this and wanted me to give it to you." I reached for the envelope and twirled it in my hand. I looked at it, trying to decide whether to open it or-

I stood up. Walking to the drawers I rooted through the stuff."If you are looking for an envelope opener it's up stairs." Julie said. I shook my head and then took out a box of matches. Walking towards the table I lighted the match and lit the candle on the table with it's fire.

I sat back on my chair and reached for the envelope but Chase held my wrist. "Think twice. That's the copy I have." he said. Julie was looking at me with scared, worried eyes. "I know, Chase. But he could tell these to me or at least give this by himself." I answered.

"Be careful." Julie said so Chase slowly left my wrist, resting his arm on the table. I neared the corner of the envelope to the candle and watched it burn slowly.

Little, weak fire's reflection was falling to Chase's glasses. He looked so carefully to the envelope, as though he was ready to interfere any minute. I watched as the envelope burnt, right before our eyes.

When the fire started coming close to my fingers Chase leaned forward slowly and took the envelope from my hand. "That should be enough." he said and walked to the sink with candle and envelope in his hand. Both burning.

Opening the water he put down the little fire and came back to us. "Feeling better?" Julie asked smiling and reaching for my hand. I gave it a small squeeze and said "Way better..." smiling.

"Staying over for dinner? I'll bake home-made pizza!" I said, aiming my question to Chase. "No, you don't need to. I'm an intruder anyw-" "Stop being silly! Feel yourself at home!" I cut him off. "Yes honey, you can stay." Julie said holding his hand.

I could sense their hesitation as though they were trying not to hurt me. "Shoe now, lovebirds. I'll start baking!" I said and got up to look for my apron. "I'll help!" Julie said and Chase added "Count me in, too!"

"You don't need to-" "We will!" this time Julie cut me off. "But-" "No buts!" Chase beamed. "Fine." I laughed at their excitement. Opening the cupboard I threw two aprons to them and put one on.

"What shall we do?" Julie asked. "Well I made the dough before once so I'll get that done. You can make the sauce and get the toppings ready. I'll help when I'm finished with the dough." I said smiling.