Emergency Room Blues

Chapter 18

••••••••••••

"Georgia Mane?" One of the nurses called.

"her parents aren't here and I'm the only one here for her," I told her as I stood up.

"Relation to her?" She asked.

"I'm her boyfriend," I said. She hesitated, almost as if she wasn't going to let me into the room to see Georgia.

"Follow me," she sighed as she opened a series of doors. I followed her down several long hallways as the strong scent of cleaning supplies filled my nose.

I hated hospitals. They always make me think something bad is going to happen.

"Right in here sir," she said as she led me into room number 27.

"She has several broken ribs, a broken leg, punctured lung, concussion, as well as a cracked skull," she said, as she read a list of things off of her clipboard.

I sat on the chair that was placed next to her bed as Georgia slept, unaware of her current condition.

"She's also in a minor coma. We're doing all we can sir. She should be up soon. Just hang in there," she said as she placed a sympathetic smile on her face and left.

I looked at Georgia and she looked highly pale as she lied on the hospital bed. "Hey angel," I whispered as I held her hand in mine.

"everything is going to be fine. Me and Sherri are going to take care of you," I said as the thought suddenly hit me. I didn't tell them I was here.

I dug out my phone and dialed Sherri's number.

"Hello?" She asked as she answered the phone crying.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"nothing. Why did you call?" She asked slightly scared.

"Uh I'm at the hospital with Georgia," I said.

"what? Why!" She asked, now panicking.

"Just hurry, she's in room 27 of the emergency room," I said as she hung up. I walked back into the room and Georgia still looked deathly pale.

There was a knock on the door "come in," I said as a tall doctor entered the room.

"Hi I'm doctor Matthews," he said shaking my hand.

"Hi," I whispered.

"Has the nurse already spoken with you about Miss Mane's current condition?" He asked as he adjusted his coat. I nodded my head.

"Shes scheduled for surgery at 8 o'clock," he said.

"What exactly happened to her? Or do you not know?" He asked.

"I thought for sure the officers would have already spoken to you," I said as Sherri entered the room and sat next to me.

"Nope. That's why I'm asking," he said.

"Her parents abused her. Kicked her, hurt her, bashed her head around as she locked me in the bathroom," I told them. He nodded his head as he wrote on his clipboard everything I had just said.

He left the room and close the door behind him "I never knew they did that to her," Sherri said as she stood up and got a better look at Georgia.

"I did. She told me about a month ago. They arrested her parents today," I said as she broke down into a crying fit.

"Sherri it's okay," I said as I hugged my sister tight.

"I don't want her to die," She said. Suddenly the door opened and several nurses came in taking Georgia out of the room.