29 : The real world

          My heart felt heavy from reading all of our old conversations. I have a new phone now but it feels useless because I've never received a single notification from Apollo ever since we got back from camping. Normally, he'd chat early in the morning just but now all I have from him is nothing. Ako 'tong dapat nagtatampo pero bakit siya yung parang lumalayo?

        "Schatzi, we're here."

         Napabuntong-hininga na lamang ako nang makitang nakalabas na pala mula sa limousine si Dad at nakalahad na ang kamay sa akin. Napabuntong-hininga ako at ibinalik nalang ang phone sa clutch purse na hawak ko.

         I held onto the hem of my red cocktail dress as I got out of the limo and reached for my Dad's hand. Together, we stood proudly and smiled to the journalists as they took photos. I'm used to these kind of events; from the fake smiles down the tiniest decorum, after all we've been attending events like these from back when I was just a child. I came from a family of politicians and businessmen, events like these is already normal to me while growing up.

        "Good evening, Attorney Valverde. It's an honor to have you here with us." A man in a tuxedo greeted us with a warm smile. Parang hindi nalalayo ang edad namin sa isa't-isa. He looks familiar though.  "My grandparents are pleased that you accepted our humble invitation. When Papa learned that you're here in Filimon Heights, he was really eager to have you here." He added.

        Dad chuckled as we both followed the man towards towards the function hall. "Just Mr. Valverde, young man. It's been a long time since I practiced law. This is my daughter, Philbert."

      I extended my hand towards him and smiled. He was quick to shake mine and as our eyes met, that's when I realized to he was. He's the bassist of Wave Syndicate! I'm sure it's him because Riley is crazy over him! I forgot his name but I'm sure it's him!

       My eyes widened at the realization of who he was but he blinked at me as if he's begging me not to say it. I understood it right away and just went along.

          "What kind of a business summit is this Dad? Why so grand?" I couldn't help but ask my Dad as we followed the guy who was guiding us towards my table, my smile never leaving my face. The function hall is so wide and luxurious. The sound of cello is loud an beautiful and everyone here seems filthy rich and sophisticated. 

          "It's also a gala dinner, schatzi." Dad smiled as he pulled me closer to him. "If you want, I could introduce you to a fine young man--"

         "Not interested Dad." I cut him off right away. Unless it's Apollo.

         That bassist guy left us to tend to the other guests. Instead of socializing, Dad and I kept talking and joking around, catching up to lost time. Five years was a long time and so many things happened.