Chapter Twenty-Four: Lost.

Rosalie

As soon as I know I am out of vampire earshot, I burst into tears. I can't help it.

It's bad enough that I never drive myself anywhere, and now I can hardly see through the blur of damp tears welling up in my eyes.

I should pull over somewhere.

It's already 5:30. Everyone will be up soon and I don't want them to know I left. So instead I keep driving.

"Urg!" I scream angrily, pounding my fist on the steering wheel in front of me.

Why? Why me? Why is it that any good thing in my life either gets taken away or proved to be deceiving. First my parents, my whole life! And now Tiberius? The one person I thought I could trust!

The tears continue to come, dripping off of my chin and onto my pants.

But he didn't actually kill anyone. The thoughts that creep from the back of my mind.

No. He didn't actually kill anyone, but he had the power to stop his friend and he didn't. Instead, he let him mutilate my parents.

God dammit! Why couldn't he have just stopped him? Would it have really been that bad? Sure his friend might have been upset that he missed dinner or whatever, but my parents would at least still be here!

I look down at my hands, which are shaking as they grip the steering wheel.

I feel like I'm going to puke... or pass out. Both of which I'm fighting back seeing that I am driving and all.

Just a few more minutes and I'll be back home.

I wish there was someone I could tell. But there's not. I wouldn't trust anyone not to think I'm insane. That, and contrary to how I feel about Tiberius right now, I actually don't wish to give away his identity. Like anyone would believe me, if I told them he was a vampire, anyway.

Once Alysa's car is safely parked back in the garage I just sit and think for a moment, allowing myself to calm down.

It doesn't really work though. Instead, I am reminded of all the times Tiberius knew exactly what happened that night but pretended to be oblivious.

"Ugh!" I scream, remembering his sob story from that night at dinner with my aunt. I doubt he was telling the truth. He probably just wanted me to feel closer to him. Fuck I can't believe I thought I loved such a leech!

There are so many mixed emotions in my mind it hurts.

I hate him! I hate him! I want him to suffer. But he saved me, that is at least something right? No! He let his friend kill your parents over his own selfishness. He deserves to feel as horrible as you have all these months.

I close my eyes and try to silence my thoughts.

I need to calm down and go upstairs before anyone wakes up.

I get out of the car slowly, my knees shake as I stand and for a moment I'm unsure if I will be able to walk, but I do. I walk up the stairs to the main level of the house.