Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I barely slept. I up until 2, so I got 3 and a half hours of sleep.

I was up finishing my English essay on "To Kill A Mockingbird" until midnight, but then I couldn't fall asleep. For another 2 hours. It was up just checking Twitter, listening to Ed and Mumford & Sons, trying to sleep. Usually they will calm me down enough to sleep but it didn't happen.

I heard something at my door. It was Dexter, pawing at it trying to come in at about one in the morning. He could climb the stairs easily, but Hypotenuse, the bigger dog, had no luck. I let my puppy in and he jumped onto my bed. He snuggled up to me when I climbed in. Having the extra heat coming from him helped me calm down and I started to drift off.

And three and a half hours later I was awake. In the shower and then dressed in a pair of light wash skinny jeans and a navy blue sweater. I put on a little bit of makeup, my usual amount, and then my dog tags, and my herringbone Toms I just bought and went downstairs.

I heard a knock at the door earlier than I expected.

Niall was stopping by again so we could talk to my mother about him, Lou and I going to Ireland over the nearing break.

When I opened the door I saw that it was Niall, and Louis, which was nice, I didn't know if my Mum was going to need extra convincing or not.

We went to sit in the front room. I brought them both coffee and we just sat and talked about tonight. Making the plan solid.

My Mum walked downstairs dressed and ready to go for her day. She noticed Louis and Niall in the front room. She smiled.

"Good morning boys, how are you?" she asked then walking over to us.  

"Wonderful and you Mrs. Holden?" asked Louis standing up to give her a hug.  

"I'm great. We haven't seen you in a while Louis? How was Australia?" she asked him.  

"Very lovely. A worth while experience." he answered.  

"Hello Niall. How are you sweet heart?" she asked him.  

"Fine and you?" he asked.  

"Very happy to see some of Caroline's friends around the house." she said with a smile.

Niall pulled something out of his bag. It was a jar.

"This is for you Mrs. Holden. For having me for breakfast yesterday, and for the coffee today." he said handing it to my mother. "It's my Mum's homemade granola. She thought it would be a kind gesture to bring over."  

"Thank you Niall, that's so sweet of you." she said giving him a squeeze.  

"It's not a problem." he answered smiling.

Wow, he really could make an impression on anyone. My mother hugged this boy she's known for a day. And she genuinely seemed like she like him. It was, well, sweet.

My Mum walked into the kitchen and poured herself some tea. I had the kettle on for her already. We walked into the kitchen and sat at the stools by the island.

"Anything new happen at school?" she asked us.

We all looked at each other quickly before I answered. This was the golden opportunity.

"Well Mum, actually, us three, we got paired up for a big project for our Global history class." I began.  

"What do you have to do?" she asked us.  

"Well, we were assigned my home country, Ireland, for an in-depth report on it. It's a large grade so we want to do a good job on it." Niall said.