{C h a p t e r 10}

HEY! I'm back with another chapter, so I hope y'all enjoy it. (: There may be some grammatical and spelling errors here and there, but I'll come back and edit it soon. Sorry that it is only 1500 words though, I was going to make it super long but then did not have time.

Dedicated to @tia111 because I love how she always comments on my chapters and her book is awesome. (:

Alright, so here comes the chapter... :D

*************************

Betsy looked at me with a queer look and said, "Yes, I know the reason why she hates you so much and the reason is that your mother was adopted, if she hasn't told you already before."

My jaw slacked open and I was speechless, all my life I had thought my mother and aunt were sisters. Never had I ever thought that something like this would ever be told to me and I felt a little hurt that my parents had never told me this. I mean, it was something important, wasn't it? I looked at Betsy and saw that she was looking at me expectantly, as if expecting me to say something. I opened my mouth and tried to say something, but nothing came out.

"She never told you this?" Betsy asked while looking at me with her eyebrows scrunched together, as if tring to figure out something.

I shook my head.

"The thing is, your grandmother always treated your mother as if she was her own child and your aunt could not tolerate it. That's what my mother told me, she worked in this house when your mom was a little child. So, yeah..." Betsy trailed off.

I asked, "but... isn't that how people should treat their adopted children? Aren't adopted children meant to be treated as if they are your own child?"

"Mia, your mother was beautiful and was always at the top of the class. Wherever she walked, it was as if the clouds parts to reveal sunlight and that was why everyone loved her. She was actually one of the most popular person in her class, while your aunt was, well... She was the exact opposite, no one liked her. That's what my mom told me, your mother always seemed to have everything she ever needed in life. It is actually understandable for your aunt to dislike your mother for that reason.

"So, jealousy is the reason why my aunt dislikes my side of the family so much? Just jealousy, that's a little stupid in my opinion. Why does she hate me though?"

"Because you remind her of--" Betsy suddenly stopped and faked a cough, "-- I cannot tell you this now."

I looked at her, confused and even more curious than before. "Of whom? Who do I remind her of?" I questioned.

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you..." Betsy said with a truly apologetic look on her face.

"Why? I don't understand, I really want to know!" I demanded while getting more and more frustrated.

"Sorry, but no. You're supposed to go back to your room right now, but I want to tell you that there is going to be a party next week in the ball room and you are supposed to help prepare for it." She said with a frown on her face, looking a little upset.

I nodded and said, "Fine, be that way. See you later alligator!" and walked out of the room. I headed towards my basement while my head was whirling with thoughts. I started running, because running always clears my thoughts. I was so close to finding out the reason why my aunt disliked me so much, so close! Frustration was all I felt now.

Suddenly I ran into something hard and I jumped back, my heart beating rapidly. I saw a floral patterned shirt and when I brought my gaze upwards, I realized it was my aunt. I quickly said, "greetings, Mrs. Sterner."