{C h a p t e r 3}

I got out of the car with my things and followed my aunt closely as we walked towards the huge red house which looked more like a mansion. A small criss-cross black wooden fence with flowers around it surrounded the whole mansion. I felt myself falling in love with this place despite of the weird unbearable heat and constant feeling of being in danger from heatstroke. I guess this was Alabama, a place that was nothing besides hot. 

My aunt inserted the key into the wooden gate of the fence and walked through the opening, I didn't get why she didn't just jump over the small fence though. She turned back to look at me and ordered, "Stay outside and I'll send a servant to fetch you after I inform them of your coming."

"Yes ma'am," I replied. She walked across the white pebbled stone walkway that led to the door of her home. She opened the door and disappeared behind it, leaving me alone outside without a single inkling of what to do. 

As I stood there, a feeling of loneliness overwhelmed me not only because I was an orphan but also because my two friends were not with me and I had no one left to comfort me in the world. Although there were other people walking around me, I still felt so lonely.

Sadness overwhelmed me as I thought of how much my life had changed in such a short time. From a typical happy teenage girl with a perfect family and life, I had become an orphan girl forced to live with an aunt who disliked me with every fiber of her being.

While waiting for a servant to fetch me, I walked around the lot and I noticed that I was in a nice neighborhood where my aunt's house stood the biggest of all. 

I wish that my mom and dad are with me right now and we're moving into this mansion, that my mom would magically appear giving me a hug to reassure me that she was still alive. I wish my dad would encourage me with his daily dose of encouraging quotes. Dang, I miss them so much. A tear slid down my cheeks and I quickly wiped it away trying my best to not cry.

"Miss Mia?" I heard someone yell. Whipping my head around to the direction of the voice, I saw that it came from a few blocks away in the direction of my aunt's house.

I quickly strode towards the direction of the voice and saw that it was a lady who looked to be in her twenties that was calling me. She was quite small and slim with gorgeous blonde wavy hair and bright blue eyes which looked like the ocean.

As I reached the fence, the lady introduced herself, "I'm Betsy and I have been fixing to see you ever since Madam told us that you would be coming to join us! Come with me, Mia. Madam tends to be pretty strict with us bu--"

"Betsy! Betsy!" my aunt suddenly yelled from inside the house. "Go show her the living room and some rooms around the house and don't forget to tell her all the rules of this place."

Betsy lifted an eyebrow and asked, "Alright Madam, should I tell her all the 300 rules or just the main rules?"

"Yes, all 300 rules! I'm going upstairs now and will bring the children around at 12:05. Be strict with her and treat her like she deserves to be treated," my aunt ordered, her voice drifting away.

I followed Betsy towards the house, the stones on the pebbled walkway made noises beneath my feet as if to welcome me into my new life. Suddenly I thought that maybe my time under my aunt's care wouldn't be as bad as I thought. Maybe I would live in a nice room with a beautiful view. Maybe I would be happy with my aunt and her hate for me would stop. "But maybe's don't always come true," I reminded myself.

Betsy led me to a big beautifully engraved door. Her lips curved into a big contagious smile as she looked at me, then she frowned and exclaimed, "I have to go somewhere, how could I have forgotten? I'll be back in a little bit, sorry about this though.I tend to be a tad bit forgetful. But I'll be back soon. It was nice to meet you, I hope we can become good friends in the future! I've been fixing to make a friend for a while at this --" she whispered, "dreadful place."