{C h a p t e r 4}

Betsy led me into the basement and down some wodden steps that creaked every time I stepped on them. Suddenly she let go of my hand and stopped me, saying, "Stop here, let me find my flashlight!" After a few seconds of awkward silence, a dim flashlight was turned on and we started walking down the stairs again.We trudged down the creaky steps and finally landed on hard cold rock.

         I almost bumped into Betsy, who exclaimed, "Careful! Well, this is going to be your room from now on. It is a bit dark now... Oh no, my flashlight is turning off!"

      That was the understatement of the year  because it was actually so dark that I could not see my hand which was directly in front of my face. Betsy's flashlight was getting dimmer by the second, "A little bit dark? You mean so dark that I cannot see anything besides your dim flashlight that is not even an okay source of light."

        "Yup, you're totes right. Wait a second."  Betsy moved to my left and switched on a light. 

        I had already gotten used to the darkness, so, the sudden light temporarily blinded my eyes. Seeing that the room was lit made me more curious about what the place as my eyes started to adjust to the light. Soon, my eyes recovered and I could see every detail of my room. It looked more of a storage room than a room for a teenager to live in. Most of the room was filled with all sorts of old things that looked as if they hadn’t seen daylight for many years and only a small part was cleaned out for me to live in. On the upside, the place is huge and looked like it had been cleaned recently. 

       The section for me of the room contained a small old bed with worn-out white covers, an old brightly painted red desk and chair. An empty closet that looked like it was once a dark green color was on my left and the only other thing worth mentioning was a huge, country-gray oval mirror that was in the right corner of the room.

        "So, this is going to be where I'll live for the next few years?" I asked.

        "Yup, unfortunately." Betsy replied with a sigh, she looked like she really pitied me. 

        The room was nothing short of dreadful and wanting to make sure once again, I asked, "This is not a prank, right? I'm pretty sure it is not April first..."

       Betsy gave me another a look of pity and said, "Unfortunately, Madam has told me to put you in this room but at least you have a room and you'll get food."

        It was then when I realized that I was seriously going to live in this place and there was no way out of it. How was I going to survive in the next few years? I wrinkled my nose at the terrible smell of rotten leaves and wood. I groaned wishing that my parents were alive.

       Betsy saw my face and said, not unkindly, “Smile! Be positive. Remember, at least this is better than living with no roof above your head. Your aunt still did a favor for you—”

        “No! This is not much better! If she had not adopted me, at least I would still have freedom! Freedom to go anywhere I wish, freedom to go to my old school, and freedom to do anything I please!” I interrupted Betsy unable to hold myself back, tears running down my cheeks at the misery was all I felt.

        Suddenly, an aura of grey surrounded me like  a mist that could never seem to rise. I felt a terrible weight on my shoulders, as if I would never be rid of the sadness that gripped my heart. I knew, though, that deep down in my heart I should still be thankful for my aunt.

        “Do you want to hear a piece of wisdom I have learned during the past few years?" Betsy asked me with a look of sympathy on her face