{C h a p t e r 2}

The car came to a sudden halt, disturbing my train of thoughts. I looked out of the window and saw that we were in the parking lot of the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, an airport that I had heard much about but had never been to. In fact, this was my first time being in an airport of any kind.

My aunt turned around in her seat and we made eye contact for the first time in a while. I only saw dislike in her dark brown eyes which were devoid of any sorrow for me. 

"We're here! Follow me and stop looking like you're crying," she said as she got out of the car. I grabbed my own things and followed behind her trying to catch up with her fast gait. I wiped away some stray tears and tried to make myself look as normal as one can after hours of crying. I could not wipe the frown away from my face though, or fix my broken heart. 

I walked up the stairs leading to the entrance of the airport and when I reached the top of the stairs, I took a fleeting glance at the bare landscape behind me that was almost completely white from the snow except for the parking lot. We went through all the tedious airport procedures.

After having some trouble with the metal detector and being bombarded with myriads of questions by random people, to which I never answered, we were finally able to rest. I let out a sigh of relief when I finally was able to sit on one of the seats in the many rows of black cushioned ones. The seat felt so good and I was separated from my aunt by two suitcases. 

"Mia, I'm going to rest for a little while now because... well, I'm so exhausted from flying to your place and all that jazz in such a short time... So, don't talk to me or anything," said my aunt suddenly. 

"Alright," I said and then muttered to myself, "It is not as if I even want to talk to you." 

My aunt suddenly frowned at me and I worried that she had heard what I said. I was close to having a heart attack thinking of the consequences of her hearing what I said when she ordered, "No muttering in my presense is allowed." 

"Mhmm," I murmured while nodding my head. Then, I turned away from her and lied back in my seat, looking at the bland white ceiling. 

Finally, I had some time to reflect on what my life has become even more. 

Okay, Mia, smile or something. Stop overly pitying yourself because worse has happened to other people.  

But I miss my parents so much and I don't know how I can even live without them with me! They are like my everything. I don't know if I'm ever going to be happy again and if you want me to be happy, a big change has to happen in my life and that is impossible. I wish I told my parents I loved them this morning, I wish I had valued my time with them more, I wish so many things. 

Mia, be positive and stop being overly dramatic. Hold your chin up and smile!

Why the heck would I smile in this situation? 

I went on arguing with myself for a while, and felt sadder as every minute passed. My aunt and I were sitting in the waiting room along with many other people, expecting to be sitting there for only a couple of minutes. However,the couple of minutes dragged into an hour and then into four hours. It was four hours of silence, four hours of sheer boredom, and four hours of debating with myself. 

Although I was tired and sad, I still felt a little excitement at the thought of flying-- like a bird-- soon. I played with the plane ticket that I had in my hands. Looking out the window that happened to be situated near my seat, I could see many airplanes.It was weird to think that I was going to be in one of these machines soon flying above the clouds. Free, like a bird in the sky.