Roman (Ch.22)

All that was there was the body. Both sides had left. The war over and neither one wanting anymore death. If only real life wars were like that. I looked back at Draak, who was still looking at the field. I don't understand what else is there to see. What else was there?

"DAD!" Virgil burst from the trees, running faster than I have ever seen him run. He knelt down and hesitantly grabbed a hold of his father, shaking him slightly. "Dad... Please I know your not... Wake up."

"Vir...gil?" I watched as Alphonse's eyes opened slightly smiling at his son, who was crying. How is that possible I put a sword through his heart. EVERYONE LEFT HIM THERE! How?

"Stupid. Your so stupid. I told you to stop. I begged you." Alphonse lifted his hand to Virgil's face, touching his cheek. Virgil grabbed it, removing it from his face, revealing the blood that now stayed there. He held on to his hand crying softly as he did. "Why? Why didn't you listen to me? I know you could hear me?"

"I... I wasn't... thinking..."

"No fucking duh."

"Language!"

"Oh god not another Patton." Virgil laughed a bit but his father frowned.

"So... You were... with them then?"

"For awhile. Then I left." Alphonse tried to sit up against the tree, having Virgil help him a bit. He didn't look happy.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you leave?" Virgil and I both started at him with shock. Not that long ago he was trying to kill the other me because he thought I was keeping his son from him. What is with this guy.

"I was only hurting them. A monster like me doesn't..."

"DON'T EVER SAY THAT!" Again more shock. "A monster is someone who tries to deny a part of their own son. A monster is someone who then tries to kill someone their son admitted to loving. Yes I caught that. But I didn't care. I was to angry. I let that dark part of me take over and I ignored you. Virgil you tried to stop me, Your own father, from hurting someone you loved. I would never have done that if I was in your shoes. You are not a monster." Alphonse was trying to get up when he stopped and started caughing up black blood.

"Dad stop, it may not be fatal for people like you but it's still a sword to the chest." Alphonse started laughing at it was so powerful it shook the trees.

"I never actually thought, I would ever see the day, where my son was trying to stop me from dying."

"Why wouldn't I. You my father." Alphonse's face went dark and he just shook his head.

"No I'm not. Haven't been since you were three. It took a sword to the heart to get me to open my eyes. No matter what I do you'll never belong in the hollow. You never did."

"Dad."

"No, listen..." He stopped for another coughing fit, causing Virgil to get real scared. "You have a new family. One where you do belong with. That man Patton.. I heard he's very caring."

"Yeah he's..." Virgil looked away and tears began to fall. "He's been like a father to me."

"No, not like. Your more a son to him then you were to me." Virgil just sat there confused and surprised. "Be honest if given the choice, who would you have gone home with?"

"Dad I..."

"Me or Roman." Where is this heading? Why is he asking Virgil that? I still confused at how he is even alive still. I saw Virgil look down before looking back in the direction the other me had gone. "See. And do you know something. I-I'm not mad. I'm actually happy. I thought I hated the idea of you being there. I thought I hated them but... I guess I just hated not see you ever again. Now look at me." He gestured to himself as another coughing fit happens.

"Dad, we can see each other more. I prom..."

"No, Virgil. I'm not going to make it." Haven't you already? I'm sorry but how is he not already dead. I'm happy he's not, but what the heck.

"What do you mean? You can just heal, your a nightmare. You have that..."

"I'm drained, Virgil. They knew that that's why they left me. I have no magic left to heal."

"Impossible there is no way Roman could have... could have... Dad? Dad, how are you so drained? You didn't... oh god."

"Your mother is one hell of a woman. One of the four... most powerful witches. I never thought that she... That I would have to resort to that just to try to find you. And it failed of course. I suspect her to be laughing at all this." I watched as Alphonse let go of his sons hands and just sat there smiling. "I don't want to disappear from this world like a bad memory. It's not how nightmares should go. It's not what I want for me. It's not what I want from you."

"Dad I don't..." Virgil's face widened in some sort of realization. " No! Absolutely not. I can't, I don't even know how to..."

"Virgil." Virgil looked at the ground before lifting his head and showing A's bright blues. His hair turned slightly red and he nodded. What was he being asked to do? He lifted his hand and placed it right over where I had stabbed him. " let me just say this before you... Son, despite the fact it was not the path I chose for you... I am so very proud of the man you are becoming. Keep follow your own path and don't give into that darkness like I did. Although... your nightmare doesn't seem to be as bad."

"No I suppose not." Virgil was stone face and unblinking. His hand went on fire and as the fire slowly moved to his father I watched as it engulfed Alphonse's body. I saw as he just sat there smiling at his son the whole time.

"I love you Virgil. Now go and be with your real family. Leave your past here burning with me." I stood there in shock as Draak whipped me around and plunging the both of us back into darkness, away from that whole scene.