Chapter 20

ROSE'S P.O.V

I was still in shock over what happened to Josh. The surprised look on his face as he crashed to the ground is still etched behind my eyelids and I see it every time I close my eyes.
After the rogue's body had been disposed of, as discreetly as possible, Alex had gone to fetch Nattie and Jade whilst Brett and Zach carried an unconscious Josh to the car. I walked behind them, still dazed and confused from the incident. I mean, I had experienced death before! I had caused death, seen death, lived death, and yet this was affecting me more than I thought was possible, and Josh wasn't even dead!!
~maybe you are just worried that Josh will die before you have a chance to forgive him.~ my wolf said softly.
~deny it all you want but I know you saw the look in his eyes as he begged you to give him another chance~ she added,
~people can change, just imagine if he dies right now, in the back seat of this car, right next to you. You would never get a chance to let him know that deep down, you have already forgiven him.~
Before I could a answer her, Nattie and Jade were running towards the car, identical looks of horror on their faces.
"How is he?" Jade asked, sliding in next to him. A silence met her question as Nattie and Alex also bundled into the car and Zach drove off.
"We don't know." I choked out eventually.

___________________________

The moment the car pulled up into the pack driveway, I was out the door and helping Zach pull Joshes body out of the car and carry him into the building.
"We need a pack doctor ready ASAP!" I furiously projected at Alpha Jason as I heaved Josh's body through the front doors. His blood was coating my hands and a steady stream of crimson was leaking down my wrist, splashing onto the tiled floor beneath me.
Suddenly the Earth pack's doctor was rushing towards me and Josh was swept out of my arms and bundled into the infirmary. I tried to follow him in but a doctor stopped me at the door.
"Sorry but I think it's best if you wait outside."
I could feel the cold hand of panic slowly grip me tightly around the throat and squeeze.
"But he's going to be okay right! I mean- he's-"
The hand squeezed tighter.
I could feel my breathing rate accelerate.
"I will be able to tell him- to- to tell-"
I could get my words out; my hands were shaking as I waved them in front of me trying to get the young doctor to understand.
"He's my brother! please- I can't- I just- I -I just can't"
I needed to see him. I needed to know that I hadn't caused the death of yet another family member.
My heart rate accelerated.
"Please- no-n-n-no you don't understand- I won't have- well I'll have- I'll have violet but- please- y-you have to- she hates me-p-p-please"
I could feel my pupils dilating.
I was going to shift.
I could vaguely hear the doctor telling me to calm down, that Josh would be okay but I wasn't listening I couldn't listen. I could feel my claws elongating when suddenly a pair of calm, strong arms wrapped themselves around me and I was spun around swiftly.
"Ssshhhh, it's okay"
I was pressed gently against a cool, hard chest.
"Just let it out, he's going to be okay, I promise."
I could feel tears sliding down my cheeks, I hadn't even noticed that I was crying.
"Sshhhh."
I gripped on tightly to the shirt inhaling its sweet scent. It seemed to calm me down and as my gentle sobs slowly subsided into hiccups, I realised that it was Zach that I was clinging to like a newborn koala bear.