Chapter 7-officially Mateless

Over 1000 reads! Thank you everyone!

************************************************************************

ROSE'S P.O.V

I awoke, the sunlight streaming into my eyes, shit! If its light, it means I'm late! Zach always likes to eat early and I haven't made him breakfast and the kitchen is still messy and- I looked around me as it all came back, the rejection, the running away, and Brett. Where is he? I sat up, gently rubbing the back of my head, Brett was gone. Figures. I told myself angrily, why would he want to stay with me? Cursing myself for my stupidity, I suddenly realised how hungry I was, I needed to hunt. I was just about to shift, when I heard someone call my name. I spun round to see who it was, and there was Brett, looking quite disheveled, thrashing his way through the bushes and shrubbery to reach me.

"You're still here!" I said surprised. He frowned, "Where else would I be?" Shaking his head in confusion he said, "Come on, we need to hunt, I don't know about you but I am starving!" I looked down at the ground. "I don't know how." I mumbled. "Huh?"

"I don't know how to hunt okay?!" I shouted. I looked down again, ashamed, "I was never taught, remember." Now it was his turn to look ashamed. 'Oh yeah." Then he seemed to brighten up! "I'll teach you!" He said excitedly! "Just the basics for now, rabbits, squirrels and such, then we can move on to bigger prey." My wolf howled in excitement! Sure we had practiced attacking a few cardboard boxes, but they were nothing compared to the real world! I smiled up at him, maybe I had judged him too quickly, maybe he isn't that bad after all.

Then I remembered all the beatings, all the days of dragging my sore, bruised body up three flights of stairs to my room, and I started to recoil a bit. Brett saw the look I was giving him and sighed.

"Look," he said. "I know I have treated you like shit for the last couple of years, and I know that nothing can change that! But at least let me try to make it up to you! I won't hurt you, I promise!"

'Come on!' My wolf coaxed, 'We have to eat!' I sighed. "Okay" I whispered.

'Over there.' Brett projected to me, by that birch tree. I looked over and saw a pheasant just sitting there. 'But that's bigger than a rabbit!' I protested, we had only been practicing on small animals, nothing this big, or fast.

'Come on,' said Brett, 'Just try, I won't laugh, I promise!' He turned his shaggy head and winked at me. 'Fine'

I turned and slunk towards the pheasant, body low, head up and watching, like I had been told. The pheasant's head shot up, okay it's on alert now, be still, very still. The pheasant resumed its eating. 'Now' said my wolf. So I pounced, flying through the air, soaring, a deadly killing machine heading straight for this poor little pheasant. Unfortunately, I landed a couple of feet off. The pheasant let out a little squawk and flew off, however I didn't stop there. The momentum from my amazing leap carried my straight into the tree, I tried to swerve but just ended up face planting the ground. Furious, I looked up to see Brett looking suspiciously like he was laughing, or as close as you can get to laughing in wolf form.

'You promised you wouldn't laugh' I projected at him! 'Sorry!' He said back. 'But that was just too funny!' He gasped for breath, 'the way you jumped, then, misses and-' he was cut off by me pouncing on him, catching him unaware he went flying across the ground, rolling in the dirt. Standing up, he shook the dirt from his fur and gave me a playful growl! 'You'll pay for that.' I was about to say something smart and funny back, but those words brought back a rush of memories. Me being thrown against a wall and repeatedly kicked for talking back to the previous Alpha. Brett stalking up to me and slapping me across the face. And so, out of habit I shrunk back from him, hanging my head. 'I am sorry,' I projected at him. 'Don't hurt me, please.' I begged. How could I have been so stupid as to trust him. Of course he wasn't sorry! But to my complete and utter surprise, he padded over to me and lifted up my chin with his nose. "I told you,' he projected, 'I am not going to hurt you.' I looked into his eyes, surprised, but he looked away quickly 'come on, I'll show you how it's done'

A few minutes later we were huddled around a deer carcass, feasting hungrily. Brett had this smug smile on his face the whole time. 'Show off' projected at him sullenly. Ge grinned at me, displaying a set of sharp canines. 'Just demonstrating how the masters do it. But seriously, one day, you will be able to do that, probably better than me! I have never seen anybody spring that high or far on their first go!' I smiled proudly to myself and was just about to reply when I heard a noise behind me. My ears flicked back, as did Brett's. 'Stay behind me,' he projected. As he turned around and begun to slink towards the bushes when suddenly a huge dark brown wolf, flew through the air straight towards us. He collided heavily with Brett who tumbled over but immediately sprung to his feet snarling furiously. I cowered back into the shrubbery when another wolf pounced on me from behind. 'Brett' I yelled, but as he turned to help me, the first wolf launched itself at him, snapping at his neck with his fangs. My wolf began to panic, 'We are going to die!' She said. 'No we're not! We just need to remember what Brett told us' I quickly racked my brain for his instructions.

But before anything came to mind I was struck with the worst pain you could possibly imagine! Imagine your insides being fried with acid, that's the kind if pain I was experiencing. But it hurt deeper too, on an emotional level. I fell to the ground, my wolf screaming in agony. I felt like I was being torn apart from the inside. as the pain reached its climax, I felt myself shift back into human form. Through the pain I noticed that the same thing was happening to Brett, he was howling in pain and shifting at the same time! As are eyes connected, we both realised the same thing. Our mates had mated each other. We were officially mateless.

************************************************************************

There you go! So Zach and Violet Mated? What do you think? Please let me know in the comments below!

-Kate