Chapter 1-Ripping up A Cardboard Box

Okay Rose, bend your knees, wait for it... Then SPRING! I pounced on the cardboard box, ripping it to shreds with my teeth. Of course I wasn't just attacking boxes in wolf form for no reason at all. Oh no, if I had the choice, I would be out there training with the rest of the pack. If I had the choice, my parents would be with me here, not... up there, if I had the choice I would be respected, maybe even liked, by the rest of my pack, and I would be a fighter, not stuck as a stupid helper! My brother gets to be in attack, heck even my stupid slutty sister gets to be a hunter! It's just not fair! If they bothered to train me like they trained everyone else, then I know I could be just as good as any other fighter, maybe even better! But no. Nothing like that ever happens to me. I still remember the day I got told that I was gonna have to have this crappy job in the pack. It was my 16 th birthday, and I went to see the Alpha, Zach who was only one year older than me at that point. I walked into his room, excited to finally get a proper job and stop being the pack's little slave. He looked at me for a moment, then with a little smirk he read out my future.  

Rose Night, daughter of the deceased Mary Night and Daniel Night, previous beta of the Wind Pack. I hereby assign you the position helper in this pack. I stared at his stupid little smirking face like a fucking idiot for a minute. "Wha- what?" I asked stunned. His smirk had grown, "I decided that as you were doing such a great job at helping this pack in your free time, that we should make an official position called helper, just for you." He smiled at me maliciously, "This way, people with... Real jobs in the pack, don't have to worry about little things, and the best bit is, you don't even have to train, because if this pack ever did fall under attack, no one would miss you and we would need someone to clean up and such" he waved his hand dissmisivly, then turned back to me smiling. "And I did this all for you! Don't you feel special?" This was the last straw for me, choking back a sob I ran from the room, the sound of his laughter ringing in my ears.

It had only been a year since that had happened and I was still the fucking helper. With one small change; I had decided to train myself. So everyday, when the pack went out to train, I would sneak out into the forest, to the little clearing that my dad had showed me when he was still here, and practice everything I thought I should know, including how to fight in human form; after all, your wolf is only as strong as your human. 

Sighing, I quickly changed back into human, a shudder running through my body as my bones popped into place, and my underwear appeared on my body. At least that was one good thing about being left out, it gave you a lot of time to practice not ripping your clothes to shreds as you changed. So far, I had only managed to appear in my underwear but, hey! It was a start! I quickly found the rest of my clothes and changed behind a tree, into my usual jeans and a hoodie then headed towards the house.  

At least i have my wolf, she keeps ne company through these lonely days. Although her presence constantly reminds me of another aspect missing from my life: my mate.  

When you get your wolf, (after you turn sixteen) this means that your mate is near you. If you can communicate with your wolf then your mate knows who you are. As i can communicate with my wolf, i know that some shithead knows who i am and refuses to aknowledge ne as their mate. This knowledge hurts me more than all the bullying and abuse that I have suffered. Worse than my parents dying. At least they loved me, and cared fir me. Unlike my mate, who is ashamed of me and who doesn't want me in their life. Well screw them.

I have no mate.