Ultraviolence

"Well hello Martin Luther King Jr. High School Juniors! Welcome to your first pep rally!", principal Johnson screamed into the microphone even though he knew it would sound excessively loud. The air was thick with teenage breath as the cheerleaders began running into the huge yellow & gold brick gym from the 2 doors in the back one at a time. Their presence sparked a roar from the crowd, as they ran into the gym jumping up in down until they were in position.

"Tigers, tigers
Who are we?
Tigers, tigers
MVPs

Think you can take us?
think again
Cause we never lose
we always win"

The girls cheered, performing their routine of flips, twirls, and rolls, and ending it all with a perfect pyramid. Everyone went crazy for them; after all, they were the most popular kids in the school!

Cameron Dallas sat in the back row of the bleachers with his crew consisting of Jc Caylen, Jack Gilinsky, and Michael Jones, who everyone called Mike. They were the most popular guys in the school, and they knew all of their power. They stuck to themselves and embodied a sense of high school royalty and the feeling that they were better than everyone else around their image, which only made all the other students want to be them or friends with them. Cameron didn't really like to box himself into a small group of friends however, he was friends with most kids in the schools, you know, except the "nerds and gays", but these guys he had known since kindergarten, and nothing could break them apart.

The guys cheered for the girls when they finished. They were each dating a cheerleader, except for Cameron. He could have any girl in the school he ever wanted, but he had never had a girlfriend. He didn't really know why though. He was tall, hot, handsome, and knew his way around a pick up line, but still nothing. It wasn't that he couldn't get a girl, he just never found the right one, and that's what he had been convincing himself for years since all his friends began to date.

Harmony Johnson, Cameron's best friend, and head cheerleader ran up the steps to of the bleachers and playfully shoved JC out the way. She was tall and beautiful, but most of all she had the best personality which Cameron loved. Like him, and unlike her friends, she loved to make as many friends as possible. She sat down on the bleacher and leaned her head on Cameron's shoulder, and after an extended applause from the crowd to the cheerleaders, the principal began to play the video they played, and Harmony spoke in, every year to begin the Basketball season.

"Hello MLK High students. Welcome to your Junior year", Harmony said from the projector screen. "This is gonna be a great-", the video was cut off by a another clip coming in, recorded in a dark bedroom.

Murmurs spread across the gym, and realization, shock, and soon disgust came over everyones faces. "Oh no"

----------------

*BRRRRRRINNGGGG*

Hamilton Nash Grier awoke to the sound of a half broken alarm clock going off. It was a leftover clock his mom tossed him, like most things he now owned, after she somewhat broke it throwing it at the door when her boyfriend left her. She wasn't really the best girlfriend, or mother, or woman in general. She had become a witch towards Nash ever since he came out to her in the 8th grade thinking that her dislike for religion would allow her to accept him... It didn't.

Not that she was much nicer before that though. She barely fed him, never bought him anything, and used him as her personal slave while she sat on the couch watching Maury reruns and drinking liquor, working throughout the week on the Downtown Houston corners just to pay the bills and buy herself a Chipotle burrito every once in a while

Nash had a job at a local restaurant, that he had grown up going to, as a waitor, and after explaining his story to his manager, and only father figure, the guy decided to pay him double the normal salary, which was only $2.50, only if he did overtime during the summer and all his breaks from school. He had to make his way off of tips from the customers, and since they were mostly teens and students from his godforsaken school, he would usually end up with $10 at most for a day's work. But it was enough for him to survive and sustain his life now that his mother wouldn't provide for him.

"Wake your ass up and clean this kitchen!", Nash's mother yelled smashing her bottle of liquor on his door. The brown liquid flowed quickly to Nash's mattress lying on the floor. "I need to go to school mom", Nash said reluctantly, he didn't want to go there either. "Yeah and I need a million dollar check every week!", she replied with slurred speech. "Now get downstairs and clean my fuckin kitchen", she screamed throwing the leftover broken bottle piece directly at the back of Nash's head.

This was his life.

-----------

Nash made his way into the gym surrounded by tons of kids. He quickly found his best, and only, friend, Jack Johnson sitting at the edge of the front row of the bleachers. Jack was straight, but was the only person who remained friends with Nash after what happened at the middle school pep rally in 8th grade.

"Hey man, how was your weekend", Jack asked. Nobody at school knew anything about Nash's home life, and he wasn't about to make things any worse by telling someone. "It was great, I had fun", Nash explained softly. "Damn Harmony Johnson is so fucking beautiful", Jack expressed while watching her walk up the bleachers after the cheerleaders finished their routine. "Lucky you're gay Nash, you don't have to compete with me for that amazingly perfect, beautiful, majestic, wonderful-", Jack said, losing his train of thought. "Like she'd ever date you!", Nash laughed. "Hey, any girl would be crazy not want alllllll this", Jack joked, motioning to his body. Just then, the video started, and Harmony appeared on the big screen, once again capturing Jack's attention.

"Hello MLK High students. Welcome to your Junior year", She said from the projector screen. "This is gonna be a great-", just then, the video was cut off by a another clip coming in, recorded in a dark bedroom.

Gasps erupted from the entire gym, and soon the sound of 2 feet running flew pass Nash and out the gym door. Déjà Vu.