Chapter 2

Chapter 2 : First things first!

"Okay, you lot, listen up," Hermione and Emma came into the sunlit kitchen, lists in hand, ready to get down to business . . . what they weren't ready for was finding a poker game in full swing.  Harry was dealing, the guys all seemed to have fairly even piles of chips in front of each of them and the only thing missing was the cloud of cigar smoke.

"Oh, sweet Mary, Mother of Pearl," Emma exclaimed, hands on hips. " What are you all doing?"

"Playing poker, woman!  Now hush, this is serious stuff," replied Rupert, without looking up from his hand.  "Give me two," he told Harry, discarding a couple of cards and picking up the ones dealt to him.

"But . . . we have to tell you . . . " Hermione sputtered, waving the list in her hand for emphasis.

"Relax, Hermione . . . we're going to be using a Time Turner . . . there's no immediate rush," Draco informed her, tossing two cards away and picking up the two handed him by Harry.  "Get something to drink and either pull up a chair and join the next hand or relax and chat with Emma . . . we're just getting started."

"But . . . we really should . . .," she started to argue, but thought better of it and grabbed Emma's elbow and pulled her out of the kitchen.

"Listen, I don't know about Dan, Rupert and Tom, but Harry, Ron and Draco are serious card players," Hermione explained, rolling her eyes. "I've given up trying to pry any one of them away from a game. Why don't we just go ahead and gather everything we need and be ready to start as soon as they finish the game."

"If you don't think they'll mind," Emma asked, sneaking a peek back into the kitchen in time to see Tom smile and pull a small pile of chips over to join the stacks positioned in front of him. "I guess they won't miss us for a bit, will they?"

"Won't even know we're gone. Besides, this way you get to brag you've actually done 'Side-along Apparation'."

"True. So, my apartment first and then Grimmauld Place?"

"Right and I think you'll like what Harry and Ginny have done with that old pile, too." Hermione held out her elbow and Emma grabbed on with both hands and closed her eyes. Hermione smiled and turned rapidly. . . 'Pop!'

* * * * * *

'Pop!'

"WHOA!" Emma staggered a bit. "That was just like I imagined it would feel to 'Apparate'; it was awesome!"

"I'm glad you don't feel any ill effects; makes some people a bit queasy." Hermione smiled and then looked around. "Oh, Emma, this is charming! I love your color scheme and," sitting down on the sofa, sinking into the plump cushions, she sighed and closed her eyes. "This sofa is just as comfortable as it looks!!!"

"Don't get too relaxed, 'mione; we've got work to do," Emma teased her new friend.

"Right," agreed Hermione, regaining her feet and checking her list. "Steno pads, pens or pencils, highlighters and sticky tabs . . . what will we use for, again?"

"To mark important passages in the books so we can find them quickly; we'll use different colors for different people or to rate how crucial some event is to the story/time line."

"AH, right. So, where do you keep your supplies."

"In that tall cabinet, just there in the hallway. I've got something in my closet to carry everything." Emma pointed across the room toward the front hall and then she headed to the bedroom. Returning, she held up a Brown University totebag. "Ta-Da!"