Chapter 49

Chapter 49 : Here comes the Holiday break

Severus awoke slowly, realizing he was lying in a strange bed and by the quiet, sunlit atmosphere, he surmised he was a patient in the Hospital Wing.  Thinking back, he came to the conclusion that he'd been hit by spells from the Carrows. 

'Idiots!', he thought. 'Well . . . it could be worse . . . they could actually have done me some harm . . . being knocked out by those fools will be helpful when reporting late to the Dark Lord.  Let them take the blame for Draco's disappearance.'  He smirked, then decided to try and sit up . . . that turned out to be a bad move . . . in fact, an impossibility.

"Ah, Severus.  I see you've rejoined us," Poppy cheerily greeted him, as she bustled over to his bed.

"There seems to be a problem, Poppy."  Severus croaked, his mouth suddenly dry.

"Here, take a sip of water," instructed Poppy, as she held a glass of water, with a bent straw, to Severus' lips.

"Thank you," Severus said, after taking a sip or two, then he looked at the Healer. "What's wrong with me?"

"Well, from what I can surmise, the two spells those idiot Carrows used, 'Petrificus Totalus' and 'Stupefy', combined and hit you square in the spine and you are, temporarily, paralyzed.  They, on the other hand, have just returned from the Ministry, where they tried to explain why they hit the Headmaster of this school in the back with those spells in the first place; they only remember seeing Harry Potter and trying to catch him."

" 'Memory modification'?" Severus inquired."Professor Flitwick's work no doubt."

"Oh, yes!" Poppy looked around then leaned over and whispered.  "He said it was the most fun he's had in years.  By now, of course, word will have gotten back to Voldemort that you were severely injured, so there's no rush for you to go to him to report that Draco was 'snatched' by Harry, Ron and Hermione; he'll have already heard that news."

"I'm just glad I'm not the one who had to tell him!"  Severus smiled, grimly.

"Indeed!  Oh, and Slytherin House was gifted with the same memories, so they'll be reinforcing the tale when they go home for holiday."  Poppy smiled and then covered her mouth, giggling at the look of astonishment on Severus' face.

"Bloody Hell!"  Severus burst out, but as he regained his composure, he asked the important question of the day. "How long will this . . .condition last, Poppy?"

"At least two weeks, Severus, which will get us to the end of term . . .  you've been unconscious for the better part of a week, already."

"What?"

"Don't fret; you haven't missed anything. Minerva's running the school and the D.A. is continuing their practices, but now they're learning how to defend against the worst of the Death Eaters spells, thanks to Lucius Malfoy."

"By that statement, I can conclude that Lucius and Narcissa are in residence here, and none the worse for their escape?"

"Correct."

"Ah, good . . . then I think I will just consider this a forced vacation and relax.  It is bizarre to not have any feeling in my body, but as long as I can see and talk, I'll survive a couple weeks under your expert care, I'm sure."

"Oh, you're not under my care, Severus, I have help from St. Mungo's, as this is a specialized case and you need physical therapy as you recover."