Chapter 47

Chapter 47 : Plan B

"Wait . . . wait," Emma held up her hand.  "Wormtail only saw you, then, Headmaster?"

"Yes, I was his only visitor, and he thought that was to keep him hidden . . .  the fewer people who knew where he was, the better." Albus nodded.

"But, you said he did die, just not like in the book and it's never explained what happened to him in the movies," added Rupert.  "So, how did he die?"

"It was actually just before the Battle at Hogwarts.  We were getting the younger students to safety and some of the Slytherins were trying to hide, thinking they'd be able to help the Dark Lord get into the school.  As they were sneaking around in the dungeon corridors, they discovered Peter's room.  He told them he was being held against his will and they let him out.   On hearing what was happening, he said he knew some secret passages that could help the Death Eaters gain entry,"  Harry explained.

"But we're getting ahead of ourselves, a bit, Harry.  We need to go back to just before the Christmas holiday and Voldemort's efforts to locate my final resting place, and thus my wand," Albus reminded Harry.

"Ah, well, then Narcissa and Severus should take up the tale, as it involved them the most," replied Harry, turning to the Potions Master and Draco's mother.

X X X

"The Carrows and I have searched the grounds extensively, my Lord, but could find no evidence of a grave or other repository for Dumbledore's corpse,"  Severus reported, seated with the other Death Eaters.  "I have gone, several times, into The Forbidden Forest but there is no trace of Magical wards or other tell tale signs of activity."

"I also searched the Shrieking Shack and it's grounds," Snape added, keeping his voice on the same level as the Dark Lord's.  "My only other option is to check the lake and try to ascertain if Dumbledore arranged with the Merpeople ahead of time, that in the case of his sudden death, that they keep his body somewhere in the lake."

Voldemort waved his hand dismissively.  "That's too radical even for that old coot.  No, he'd want his body placed somewhere close, so he could be properly interred at a later date. And you searched Hogsmeade and especially the Hog's Head?"

"All of the buildings in Hogsmeade were gone through from top to bottom.  Then we went to the Hog's Head and did an extensive search, much to Aberforth's amusement.  He said he didn't allow his brother in his establishment when he was alive, he wasn't about to have him there dead . . . or words to that effect," Severus relayed, with a smirk.  "However, again, we found nothing.

And in the castle itself?" Voldemort asked, his voice barely above a whisper, indicating his displeasure at the information Severus was bringing him.

"I have personally checked every known and every secret passage, but can find no modifications that would indicate a hidden chamber or vault.  The Carrows have checked all of the dormitories, classrooms, library, kitchens and greenhouses.  Then I double checked them, my Lord."

"The Chamber of Secrets?"

"I do not have access to that the particular location," Severus answered, smoothly.

"But Potter does, Severus; he speaks Parseltongue . . . that might be the perfect place to stash Dumbledore's body . . .only Potter and myself could get to it.  When I enter Hogwarts in the coming year, that will be one of the first things we will do . . . you and I . . . visit Salazar Slytherin's private lair."  Voldemort leaned back and thought for a few minutes.