Chapter 35

Chapter 35: The old switcheroo . . .

Dan, Emma, Tom and Rupert ended up laughing and clapping, at the end of the courtroom story, as Sirius sat down.

"That was brilliant!" declared Dan, giving Albus a thumbs up, which the Headmaster acknowledged with a nod and smile.

"What happened then?  Did Scrimgeour get the official announcement into the 'Prophet' the next day?" asked Emma.

"He did, indeed, Emma,"  Albus assured her.  "It caused quite an uproar.  Hermione made arrangements for Rita Skeeter to obtain an exclusive interview with Sirius, subject to review prior to publication, of course.   It was, surprisingly, an accurate article, with Miss Skeeter being allowed the last paragraph in which to do her usual 'flourish' ending."

"I'll just bet she did," snorted Rupert.

"Peter's family demanded to see him; astonished he was alive, appalled at what he had done and embarrassed, too.  He refused to see them, saying he would prefer they considered him dead.  It was not a good time for them, all things considered, but he was adamant, knowing he was a marked Wizard, he didn't think he had long to live, so why bother.  Sad, really," added Albus.

"Did you go and recruit Professor Slughorn?" Dan asked Harry, who nodded.

"And did Bella and you visit Professor Snape and take the "Unbreakable Vow?" Emma questioned, looking at Narcissa.

"Yes and no," was Madam Malfoy's answer. "We took a vow, but the wording was different, so that both Severus and Draco would be safe from harm, knowing that Professor Dumbledore's death would be faked."  She smiled a bit.  "Couldn't have that vow hanging over their heads for the rest of their lives, now could we?"

"It was a bit like crossing your fingers behind your back when you tell a little lie, then."  Emma smiled at the Witch and winked, noticing Draco ducking his head, trying to hide the smile on his face.

"Precisely, Emma," Cissa said.  "Very Slytherin thinking, that."

"Why, thank you, Narcissa."  Emma blushed, smiling.

"On a different note," Albus continued.  "We collected the Ravenclaw Diadem from the 'Room of Requirement', we already had the Slytherin Locket and I retrieved the Gaunt ring.  Nagini was dead, Tom's diary was already rendered harmless and Harry was keeping Voldemort at bay with his Occlumency.  That left the Hufflepuff Cup, which was in Bella's vault.   We knew it was beyond our reach at that point,  but we had several plans for its recovery, depending on how the next school year played out."

"In all truth, except for saving a few people by getting them into hiding, our sixth year went along almost exactly as it did in the books, just minus the stress of wondering where or what Voldemort was doing.  Instead of worrying, the DA practiced and practiced and practiced," Harry added. with everyone nodding agreement.

"But, the end of the year rolled around, like it or not," Hermione laughed.  "Then, the day of the Headmaster's death arrived."

"Ah, the big scene on the Astronomy Tower," Tom  said, nodding his head.  "This is the one bit I'm most interested in hearing about, as that was a tough scene to film, what with all the conflicting emotions and overlapping actions.  How did your 'big scene' go, Albus?" he inquired, leaning forward anxiously.

"Oh, it went splendidly, as far as I was concerned, but Draco and Severus had a time of it, didn't you?" he added, turning to look over his glasses at his Potions Master and former student, who both nodded and then stood.