Chapter 27

Chapter 27 : "Gotta Get Back In Time"

Draco glanced at his watch, took a deep breath and announced, "It's time.  Perhaps we should wait in the hallway, no telling what this room looks like if Sirius is living here."

Ginny giggled and stood, putting out her hand to Harry.  "Draco's right, this could get ugly!"

"Hey!"  Harry allowed her to pull him to his feet.  "That's my God-father you're talking about, madam!  I'd watch my tongue, if I were you."

"Ha! Sirius doesn't scare me . . . if he's living here, that means I've got new territory to claim and re-do," replied Ginny, eagerly rubbing her hands together.

"Love, by now you've already done that," Draco reminded her, as he ushered them toward the door.  "I'm more interested in seeing how our memories change.  Hope it's not too much of a sensory overload."  He closed the parlor door firmly.

"Perhaps a bit of anesthesia," suggested Ron. "Kreacher!"

'Pop'

"Yes, Mister Ron, how can Kreacher be of service?" asked the ancient House Elf, bowing.

"We each need a shot of fire whiskey.  Quickly, please."

"Right away, Mister Ron."

'Pop"

"Anesthesia or shot of courage, Ronald?"  asked Hermione, arms crossed, eyebrow raised.

"Both!"

'Pop'

Kreacher re-appeared, tray in hand, laden with five shot glasses of the amber drink.  Taking one each, as Kreacher circulated among them, all looked at the closed door of the front parlor, silently raised their glasses and downed the fiery liquid.

Ginny and Hermione both gasped, eyes watering, while Harry and Ron grinned and Draco shook his head.

"Amateurs," Draco muttered, smiling.

"Perhaps we should sit on the stairs; if these new memories hit hard, we might get dizzy or even pass out,"  Ginny suggested, walking over and sitting down on the carpeted  treads.  Hermione joined her and linked arms with her sister-in-law.  Ron braced himself against the wall next to Hermione, while Harry leaned on the newel post. 

Draco sat on a small bench and looked at his watch again.  "We should start to feel our memories changing any minute now.  Don't fight it, or try to sort them out, just let them flow and worry about remembering details later."

The others nodded at him.  Ron took Hermione's hand, even as Harry decided to sit on the floor and lean on Ginny's knees as she ran her fingers through his perpetually messy hair.

"You need a trim," she observed.

Harry turned to her.  "Won't help.  You know that, right?"

"Yes, but  I can . . . . ." Suddenly, Ginny gasped and she looked at Harry, eyes wide.

"Ginny?  What . . . " Harry started to ask, then he, too, took a deep breath, wincing before clapping his hand over his scar.  "OW!"

Ron knelt and pulled Hermione into his arms as tears sprang to her eyes.

"Ron!"

"It's alright, 'mione, I'm right here," he whispered in her ear.  Then he stiffened.  "BLOODY HELL!"

Draco was sitting, hands over his ears, as if trying to shut out their voices, concentrating, even as tears started coursing down his cheeks, unnoticed . . .  and then a smile spread across his face.  He checked the others, who were looking around, dumbfounded.