Chapter 17- the border between worlds

The wake up in the morning was sudden and rough. The beds that they were sleeping in suddenly tipped over and left them sprawled in a pile on the floor. Isildilia's vision flickered as she tried to focus on her surroundings.

Time to wake up, said Polk, rather rudely.

Isildilia looked across to Dakelo who, surprisingly, was still snuffling in his sleep. She reached across and prodded him in the leg. He didn't wake up. Incredible, she thought, he could sleep through a storm. She had an idea. She went over to the door and unlatched it. Froyza automatically leapt up and was about to bark a welcome, when Isildilia hushed him. He cocked his head quizzically. She pointed at Dakelo and Froyza understood. He crept forward silently. When he reached Dakelo's feet, he crouched down, and then sprang. He landed squarely on his stomach and started to lick his face.

"Yes that's the spot," he murmured. He lifted his head off the floor and kissed Froyza on the nose. Isildilia burst out laughing, which made Dakelo wake up. When he saw what he had done, he started to spit and wipe his mouth.

"You're awake now," she stated.

"I haven't slept so well in ages. Tree roots and rocks can't compare to a moss mattress." She agreed.

"Where was Valin sleeping? Or Amithae for that matter?" she wondered. Considering there were only two beds in the house, it was an interesting question. They went downstairs to look for everyone. The second they reached the bottom of the stairs they heard a voice.

"Good morning, Your Highness," Amithae's voice emitted through the room.

"Good morning," she replied, not knowing where to direct i. Suddenly the wall to their left started to morph. Before their very eyes, Amithae appeared to walk out of the bark of the tree. He walked across the room and sat on one of the chairs and lit his pipe, like it was nothing.

"Amithae? Where is Valin?" He let out a thick puff of smoke before he replied.

"I left him outside to cool off."

"For the whole night?" He nodded. She wondered whether or not she should ask the next question. "My Lord?"

He looked over. "What is it?"

"Is there something... wrong with Valin?" He paused in his smoking.

"He hasn't told you?" She shook her head. "This isn't something I can tell you. It's something he must do himself. But be careful; don't force it out of him," he said sternly. They went outside to look for him. They looked all around the surrounding trees. But there was no sign of him.

You're looking for him? Polk asked eventually.

"If you know where he is, I'd be very appreciative." A single vine fluttered down in front of their faces and bent round so it pointed upwards.

Up there. They both looked up and there he was, nestled in-between the fork of a large branch, fast asleep. He looked like he was sleeping in a dangerous position. "Won't he fall?" she asked.

No, I'm holding him in place; I'll make sure he won't. He brought another branch around from underneath and pushed him upright. Valin slowly opened his eyes. Isildilia felt guilty for waking him up.

"What's all the commotion?" he murmured

Time to wake up.

"Give me five more minutes."

Don't reptiles usually wake with the sunrise? Polk stated. Reptiles? She felt like ice was sliding down her spine; even Dakelo went rigid . In a swift movement, Valin withdrew a small knife and stabbed it into Polk's branch. He hissed something in his own language. Polk responded by pulling back the branch he sat on and releasing it, catapulting him and sending him crashing into the next tree. He went tumbling through the branches before landing at the roots, luckily not on his head.