Chapter 14- the Flower Spirits and the Rogue Limim

(Picture- A limim)

Why do you cry? came an echoing voice. Nearly every night now, Isildilia had spent her dreams in the strange field of flowers. She couldn't even remember the last time she had a normal dream anymore. She was now lying down on the rock that jutted over the pool of water, still crying. But this time she wasn't alone. Her body convulsed with a shudder as the voice vibrated through the air and her, but she was too upset to even care about it.

Why do you cry? The question came again, this time as more of a demand. Isildilia wiped her eyes and sat up to look around. But there was nothing there, nothing but the infinite tracks of white and yellow flowers, flowing in rhythm with each other in the still air.

"Who's there?" she called out into the darkness.

I am what always was, it replied. It voice sounded familiar, yet also strange. Like numerous whispering voices all speaking together.

"Where are you?"

I am everywhere. I've always been here. It was like speaking in riddles. There was a small splash from the water below. Isildilia gripped the edges and pulled herself along until she could peer down into the pool of water below. Once again she saw nothing but her reflection in the bottomless pool.

She rubbed her left eye, but her reflection didn't move. She waved her hand out in front of her. Her reflection didn't. Suddenly her reflection reached up to move a strand of hair from her face. Isildilia recoiled, and then slowly looked over again.

Looking closer she realised her reflection didn't mirror her looks exactly; whereas before the reflection had been her own, this time it was different. Her eyes were brighter, sharper. Her hair was ghostly white, shining like pure snow; she swore it hadn't been like that before. She broke into a large grin and her teeth appeared slightly sharper, like a small pair of fangs. She stared up at Isildilia with amusement. She opened her mouth to speak.

I ask you. Why do you cry? Although her lips moved when she spoke, her voice came from everywhere. It was like a whisper in the breeze but also like a deep gurgle from underwater. Isildilia felt compelled to answer the voice.

"Because...she is... gone," she sniffed, rubbing her face again to make sure no tears fell into the pool.

Where has she gone? The musical voice asked.

"She's dead. I know she must be, or worse..."

Who is?

"The girl." The reflection cocked her head to the side.

What girl?

"The human girl." It frowned at her.

Why do you care? Isildilia froze from the question. Did you know her?

"Not really."

So...why do you care? She was just one insignificant life. Isildilia picked up a piece of the rock and hurled it into the water. The image distorted for a while, before re-emerging to form a cross face.

That was uncalled for, she said dangerously.

"Leave me alone! Whatever you are!" Isildilia shouted, turning away.

I can't leave you, when I am you.

"What?" She leant back over. The reflection had turned away from her. "What do you mean by that?" she asked the reflection's back. The reflection peered over her shoulder.