chapter 15- the general

(Picture: Rose) 

            Didn't I tell you that it'd do more harm than good? she said scornfully. Honestly, you should head my warnings more often.

Isildilia was face down on the rock again. She was in too much pain to move, like there was a crushing weight upon her. She found she couldn't even find the energy to make a snippy remark back. When Isildilia didn't respond, the reflection didn't bother to talk to her again. Instead, she started to sing. The flowers and even the air around started to vibrate violently. The melody seemed so familiar, like a song she used to sing as a child. Almost instantly, the pain went away. She sat up. Even the water where her reflection resided was rippling, but her image remained still.

She didn't seem to notice Isildilia, for she carried on singing with her eyes shut.

Suddenly a second voice started to filter through, definitely male. She knew that voice. It was Valin's. He was singing the same song. Did that mean that he could hear this voice inside her? Or was she singing because she could hear Valin?

"Please, wake up," his voice filtered through the air. She wanted to reach out to his voice, but she didn't know where he was.

"Where are you?" she shouted out. She leant right over to her reflection. "How do I get out of here? How can I wake up?" But she didn't respond. She was still singing. "Please!" she begged.

It was so warm and comfortable that she didn't want to move. She shifted so she was deeper in the feathers. Feathers? There weren't any feathers in that field. And she could hear a heartbeat that wasn't hers.

She slowly prised her eyes open. It was still dark, so she assumed not much time had passed. She wasn't lying down, but someone was holding her upright. She could feel their arms holding her tightly. She was guessing already that it was Valin.

They sat at the base of the tree where she'd collapsed. He was fast asleep yet still held her close to his chest, which made her cheeks burn with embarrassment. He looked so peaceful and even still had his smile on his face; deep in his throat he was humming the same song she heard from the field. She didn't want to wake him, yet she needed to make him let go. The situation was making her very uncomfortable.

She looked across to see where Dakelo was. He was past the barrier of flowers, resting against another tree, but she could sense he was awake, for one he wasn't snoring. He had Froyza's head on his lap, who was also fast asleep. She dislodged one of her arms and waved her hand to see if he'd respond. He did.

He raised his head, and stared over. Isildilia didn't like the way he did so. The look of hatred that he directed at them made her shudder. But then she realised he was doing so at Valin. When his eyes travelled to her, he smiled slightly. You ok? he mouthed. She nodded. She tried to pull away, but Valin's grip wouldn't loosen. Help me, she mouthed. Dakelo shrugged and pointed to the flowers in front of him and then at Froyza on his lap.

Can't help. She tried to get out of it again, but to no prevail.

"Valin, let me go!" He stirred, but didn't wake. Realising she might regret it, she used her free hand and slapped Valin on the cheek, a little harder than she intended. The reaction was almost instant.

He leapt up with such force that Isildilia got thrown off onto the grass, winding her. Valin had removed his sword and had it pointed at her face. He stood there panting for a few seconds before he realised that it was her. He almost dropped his sword in surprise. Isildilia got up on all fours. She looked across to Dakelo, who had also drawn his sword. The commotion had also woken up all the spirits in the area. They swarmed like bees to see what had happened. In one swift movement, Valin flipped his sword around and slid it back into its sheath. He crouched down and held out his hand for her to take.