Chapter 25- the true nature of things

(Picture- Lord Dierit)

   “How can that be true?” Dakelo stammered, once her panic attack had finished.

   “It makes sense, the reason why no one wanted to tell me,” she whispered.

    “But how could they keep this from you, it’s such a big issue of course.” She didn’t want to say anymore. She lent forwards and placed her head on her knees, trying very hard not to hyperventilate.

    “I'm a monster,” she sobbed.

    “Don't say that,” he growled.

    “But it’s true!” He shook her shoulders, rather forcefully.

   “Stop it; I don’t want to hear that coming from you.” She looked back up at him, and saw the stern look upon his face. She wiped her eyes on her sleeve.

   “I just need a moment, alone.” Dakelo nodded and went to leave, although he was hesitant in doing so. He stopped, with his grip on the door handle.

   Without looking back, he said, “Do not think this has changed my view of you, Isildilia Hitlifia. It’s like you said before. No driving force can come between us.” Then he left.

   Are you ok? White Lily asked, once they were alone.

   No.

   I would try to offer comforting words, but I don’t know how, and in my opinion you are over reacting.

   I'm overreacting? I’m overreacting! she shouted, stopping herself from jumping out the chair.

   Well, what did you expect? If you were smart you could have figured it out. 

   Figured it out? What kind of dragon has feathers and colour changing eyes? White Lily fell silent, knowing Isildilia made a good point.

     Ok, you made your point, she admitted.

   Still... There came a loud bang from the next room. What was that?

   Smells like Valin. But there is also the smell of fresh blood.

   Do you think its Dakelo and him fighting again?

   Do you want to place a bet on it? She wondered if she was trying to take her mind off it.

   I'm not betting on my friends fighting. She paused, I bet Dakelo started it.

   You’re on. She sat and waited.  Then something crossed her mind. If she and Valin were the same then... There was the sudden, resounding sound of metal upon metal and something struck the door. Isildilia leapt up and ran to the door. She crouched down and peered through the tiny gap in the middle. She could just see Dakelo standing near the door, with his back to her, and Valin across the foyer. They both had swords drawn, again.

   “Just stay away from her,” Dakelo warned him

   “What has happened? Let me in.”

   “She doesn’t need you, you lying bastard.”

    I win, Dakelo started it, again.

   Dam, cursed White Lily.

   Let’s see what’s happening.

   “What has gotten into you?” Valin asked. He went to take another step forwards, when Dakelo withdrew a knife and threw it at him. It embedded itself close to Valin’s foot, causing him to leap backwards.  Isildilia flinched, that one was too close. Throwing knives was one of Dakelo’s specialities.