Chapter 26- the great gathering

(Picture- a Quoh) 

     “Pay attention,” Valin told her. Her mother had returned her to her room later on, to find Valin was already waiting there. Dillith instructed Valin to teach her in the language better than he already had. Isildilia didn’t know how late it was getting; being underground she had no sense of time, but it was late enough to find she was exhausted. She didn’t feel any capacity to do any late-night studying.

   “I'm trying Valin, I'm just so tired,” she replied as her head sank onto the desk.  He had her sitting at a desk in the library area, while he had her read and memories as much as possible. Valin dropped a heavy book close to her head. She barely reacted, lifting herself back up sluggishly.

   “We have only a few hours. By that time, we at least need to make sure you know more than what I gave you and make sure you memories the song of souls on top of it all.”

   “Why can't you inject it into me like last time? It’s impossible for me to learn all of that so soon.”
   “I can't keep doing that. It’s too dangerous.” Isildilia slammed her face against the table, harder than she intended. She grunted from the throbbing.

   “This isn’t working, Valin. I haven’t slept properly for days. My mind is just too tired to be cramming things in now.”

   I'm not tired, said White Lily. I could study for you.

   How?

   It doesn’t matter if you sleep, I can still hear and study for you if I concentrate. Isildilia explained this to Valin, who seemed pleased.

  “At least someone will be paying attention,” he said, turning the page.

      Isildilia sat in her field, at the base of the rock. White Lily was perched on top holding a book and quill, taking notes. She didn’t bother to question where she got those from; she just accepted anything could happen here.  She had picked up a lily flower next to her and started to pick off the petals, but each time she got to the end, they reattached themselves. It had been a few hours, yet White Lily still continued to take notes.

   “Is he still talking?” she asked.

   He won’t shut up. I'm not a scribe, I can't write that fast. Isildilia giggled. If you think it’s so funny, I’ll wake you up and make you write these notes, she snapped at her.

    “So what will we do tomorrow at the ceremony? You’re the better singer after all.”
   I believe it will be possible for me to briefly take control, over your speech and actions tomorrow. Just leave the talking to me. I don’t want you to embarrass us. Isildilia was mildly stung by White Lily’s lack of confidence in her, but decided the argument was fair.

   “Don't worry. I’d rather you talk anyways, since these are your people.” She shifted her position, so she now lay on her back, staring up through the ceiling of flowers. “Lily?”

   What is it?  I'm busy.

   “Are you happy?” White Lily slammed the book shut.

   That’s an odd question to be asking, isn’t it? Why do you ask?

   “I was just wondering.” White Lily knew what was plaguing Isildilia’s thought, for she replied;

   Mine and your happiness are not the same. I take pleasure in things that you might consider revolting. If by me being happy, you should be happy, then don’t think like that. To answer your question, yes I am happy. The happiest I've felt in a long time. Yet... part of me will never be happy if you aren’t. My true happiness is when we both are. Now look what you have made me done, I've missed a lot of important notes. Now be quiet.  Isildilia didn’t speak after that, reflecting on White Lily just told her.