Chapter 21- The giant's bridge

"You weren't joking when you said it was a giant's bridge," said Dakelo. They had left the mountain side, saying goodbye to Silvermoon and the rest of the pack before departure. Their path had taken them down the valley, out of the woods and onto flatter ground. They now stood on the banks of the Salt River staring at a giant bridge which crossed the entire breadth of water.

"How wide is this river anyway?" Isildilia asked, shielding her eyes to get a better look

Valin scratched his head. "I do not know for sure. For when the great gatherings happens it must be wide and deep enough for the ocean creature to swim up it. It's also why it's a salt river, to accommodate them."

"How does it even exist? How can a river be salty?"

"It was created long before my time; some believe that it has always been here, placed by the great spirits and the gods. Others just say our ancestors enchanted it, some even speculated it was the humans." The bridge itself was nearly fifteen metres wide, made of thick blocks of stone. The bridge walls were so high that they couldn't see over the edge. At the halfway point, settled into the wall, there was a small stone house, balanced precariously on the edge over the water.

"Why is there a house here?" Dakelo asked.

Valin squinted as he looked, then smiled. "That's Jolkef's house. He lives alone on the bridge and acts almost like a guardian."

"What manner of creature is Jolkef?" Valin tapped his nose.

"Let's not ruin the surprise. You wouldn't happen to have anything shiny on you, would you?" he frowned.

"No. Why is this important?" Isildilia queried.

"Just that he likes to be kept happy, it just so happens he likes shiny objects. Else he might not let us cross, no matter who it is." When they reached the small house, Valin rapped his knuckles neatly on the door . They waited, but there was no reply.

"Maybe he's not in?" said Isildilia.

"He's definitely in. He never leaves. He even gets his food from fishing out of a hole in the wall." He knocked on the door, this time even harder.

"Why are we even bothering with this?" Isildilia asked.

He pointed ahead. "Try walking that way." Isildilia took a few steps past, then found she could go no further. It was like there was a large sheet of glass across the bridge. No matter how hard she forced herself against it, she couldn't move an inch further.

"What is this?" She reached up to feel in front of her.

"Crossing the Salt River itself is dangerous. This bridge is the only passage across. Either that or travel upriver for miles and miles. Of course, there are methods to stop any random human from crossing, even though one hasn't been spotted here in decades. Jolkef can lower the barrier and let us past, if he answers the damn door." He hammered on the door again. "Jolkef! I know you are there! Open this door up, now!" Inside came a huge bang, followed by the sounds of falling pots and pans. There was a clinking sound as someone produced a large key which they then fitted into the lock. The door opened only a fraction, so the person inside could see who it was.

"Who's it? What d'you want? In fact ne'er mind answering 'at last one. It's all anyone wants..." His voice hissed through the door as a wheeze. He went to go and shut the door, but Valin slammed his hand upon the door, forcing it open.

"We have no time for this, Jolkef; we need you to lower the barrier. We are already late for the rendezvous." The voice inside replied lazily.

"I know. I've seen 'em."