chapter 9- identity revealed

(Picture- Sketch of Isildilia's sword) 

He led both of them through the Thislik gates. Despite the guards' disgruntled looks and regardless of their reluctance to let her and Dakelo through, they had had to move aside on Valin orders. They passed into the innermost circle, heading towards the palace. But when they were just a street away they turned suddenly to the left and headed down a different street. Here the houses were much grander; they were taller, wider and were a clear symbol of wealth and status. Valin stopped them outside one of them. It looked like it was big enough to house a few dozen people.

"Here we go." He jumped nimbly up the steps, but Dakelo and Isildilia didn't follow. "Is something wrong?" he asked.

"You live here ?" gasped Isildilia.

"Well, I've got to live somewhere," he said in amusement . Dakelo climbed the steps.

"Seems like a waste of space for one person." But even Isildilia could tell he was impressed.

"Let us go in." He opened the door and indicated for them to enter. Isildilia caught up and stepped in. She was blown away.

The foyer was nearly the size of her house. There was a large chandelier hanging from the ceiling and there was a staircase at each end of the room, leading to the second and even the third floor. There were multiple large doors, each decorated with remarkable detail. Both she and Dakelo stood there completely dumbstruck, mouths agape in their awe.

"Come on you two; stop standing there like a couple of zarkies." Isildilia had no idea what a zarkie was but she stopped staring to see where he was. He was at the eastern side of the room with the door open. They followed him into the room. It was like Valin's private library. Shelves upon shelves of books were stacked in messy heaps, as well as scattered across the floor. Piles of scrolls littered the only desk in the room. But there were a few fancy red-velvet chairs randomly around the room that weren't buried in the mess. Valin proceeded to kick and arrange the clutter in order to rearrange the chairs into a small circle in the centre. He may have been a Lord, but he was incredibly untidy. She wondered if there were any servants working for him.

"Please take a seat," he finally said. Once they sat down, he quickly left the room. He returned with a roll of bandages, and a bowl of hot water. He carefully saw to the wound on Isildilia's arm. She grimaced as he washed it with the water and tied it up nice and tightly with fresh bandages. Satisfied with his work, he went into the desk and brought out three glasses and a flask of sweet smelling liquid, which he served out to both of them before pouring himself one.

"Now then," he started as he sat down. He folded his legs over and held his glass slightly beneath his nose. "What would be the best way to start this conversation?" He was incredibly relaxed about the discussion, almost like he knew he would be having it. Both Isildilia and Dakelo sat rigidly and uncomfortably in their seats. Neither of them wanted to be the first one to speak.

"Who are you? Answer me truthfully," Isildilia finally asked. Valin peered at her from over his glass, and then set it on the floor.

"Yes, I guess that is an appropriate place to start. It is hard to trust the words of a man who isn't being honest." He leant forwards and pressed his fingertips together. "I did not lie to you when I said my name was Valin..."

"So what have you lied about?"

"It not what I have lied about, it's what I haven't told you."

She was about to say something else, but he held up a hand to silence her. "To put it as bluntly as I can, we are both not naturally human." She felt the bottom of her stomach drop out from that statement. She'd always known she was different, but not that different.