Chapter 22- journey up river

(Picture- water serpant)  

      Isildilia stopped a few paces further back than the rest of the group once they approached the lake.  She still had bad memories from the last time she approached a lake’s edge.  This lake was slightly smaller, with three branching rivers, two leading down to the sea, heading west. The other was going upstream, where they were destined to go.

   “I thought you said there will be boats for us to use,” said Dakelo.

   “There is, it’s just not here yet.” He put his fingers to his lips and produced a series of whistles. Froyza’s ears twitched in annoyance at the sound. It sounded like the notes carried across the waters. .

   “What, or who, are we waiting for this time?” Isildilia asked.  Valin held up a hand to quickly silence her. Isildilia huffed; she was still in an irritated mood from last night. Minutes went past before something happened. A large ripple crept across towards them. She looked towards Valin, who remained unperturbed.

     “It’s about time,” Valin complained.  A strange boat, large enough to accommodate all three of them drifted in their direction. There was a thick piece of rope tied to the front which dipped into the water. Something underneath had hold of the rope and pulled the boat along from under the waters.

    It wasn’t until the boat nearly reached the shore that Valin spoke again. “What took you so long, how hard was it to pick up such a small item?” The water bulged before it finally erupted. At first she couldn’t decipher what had just burst from the water. Her only impression was that it was a water serpent. It had seven bulging, black, pupil-less eyes. Its lower jaw hung lower than the top, with teeth so long and sharp she doubted the jaw could even shut. Its head was highly un-proportioned to the width of its snake-like body. It leant down so its head was level with them, and then bellowed a deafening screech.  Its breath stank of stale water and rotting meat. Valin scrunched up his nose and wafted his hand in front of his face.

   “There is no need to be rude about it.” The creature did a single snort, before turning around and diving under the surface. Both Isildilia and Dakelo stood there in total awe. Valin smiled.

   “Well, come on, get in.”

   “What...was that?” exclaimed Dakelo.

   Valin glanced at the dispersing ripples. “They are the clan in charge of this lake, the water serpent clan. Rather moody and territorial creatures. They were not fond of us using their lake.” He grabbed what remained of the rope tied to the boat and pulled it further in shore. “Now get in.” They stored all their gear and bags at the front, while they seated themselves closer to the back. The boat rocked dangerously as they clambered in.

   “Is this safe?” she asked.

   “It should be,” Valin replied with an air of doubt. Froyza planted his paws firmly in the ground. The fur around his neck lifted up in a threatening manner, adding to his already fierce look.

   “I'm not going in that,” he growled.

   “You wouldn’t fit anyway. We will meet up further along the bank when it starts to get dark. You will find no problem keeping up.” Froyza made a quick gruff sound, then turned on his heels and ran off.

   “Will he be alright?” she asked out of concern. He looked at her sceptically and that answered her question.  

     Valin sat furthest behind. He instructed her to paddle on the left, while Dakelo paddled on the right. Valin kept changing sides in order to keep the boat straight. Starting off was slow, she found it hard to keep in rhythm with both Dakelo and Valin and how she has to twist the oar each time to enter the water more smoothly. They spent nearly an hour, pacing around the lake, before they decided to finally get moving upstream.    

       Trailing upriver was much harder than skimming the lake. For starters; they were against the current of the river, but also there were large rocks in the waters they had to try and avoid.   She could see why they couldn’t continue travelling on foot. To the south-east of the lake, sat a huge swamp, as far as the eye could see, which made her realise that it would be much faster, and safer, to journey this way. She hoped Froyza was fine getting through there.

   Her worries were put to rest when, occasionally, she would look at the banks as they travelled upstream and see something white flash by in the undergrowth, easily keeping up with them.  

    It wasn’t long before her arms were burning from the strain from paddling, but she didn’t want to say anything to the men, she didn’t want to appear too weak. But when she glanced to Dakelo, she saw he looked worse off than she did.

   There came the sudden sound of shrilled laughter underneath the boat. Isildilia went to lean over but Valin stopped her. “Don't look at them,” he ordered.

    She snapped her eyes forwards. “What are they?”

   “Xnivers, they are the river form of sirens. Their entire body is made entirely out of water. They are probably heading upstream like we are. They can charm anyone unprepared to look at them.” She only glanced down when she knew they were nearly out of sight, yet all she saw was a frothy-like shimmer skirting up the river.

   Isildilia liked rowing, despite the aches. She could keep at a constant rhythm whilst paying attention to her surroundings, watching and listening to everything she could.

    With each passing day, ever since White Lily left her pool, Isildilia noticed that her senses were becoming sharper and sharper. Sometimes the simple shriek of a bird was like painful pricks in her ears, details stood out a lot more, and she even noticed smells were sharper in her nose and not all of them good.  She shuddered as she realised; every day she was being human less and less.

     They paddled until their arms almost gave out, as Valin insisted on increasing their pace even further. When they eventually pulled back to shore, Froyza was already waiting. He barked a welcome as he saw them passing the bend. Isildilia smiled.

    That evening, there was no clashing of swords, or twanging of bow string. Their arms ached so much; none of them had the energy to even continue. Isildilia was flat on her back staring at the slowly rotating sky of stars when Valin, who was sharpening a dead twig with a small knife, jabbed it in her direction.

   “Just to let you know, you still have to produce the report. So you better think of some good responses.”

   She suddenly sat upright. “What report?”

   He sighed, “have you already forgotten? This is the whole reason you were sent to the humans in the first place. You have to be able to produce a report, all about humans and their customs and behaviours.”

   “When I immediately get there?” She started to panic over the responsibility.

   “Not likely when we arrive. They will probably give you some time to adjust first.” Isildilia lent forwards and rested her head on the tips of her fingers.

   “That’s all I need, something else to worry about.”

Valin tried to reassure her. “It will be much easier than you think. Most likely they will have someone sitting with you, with a series of questions on the humans for you to answer. But bear in mind, there will probably be a lot of questions. I just thought I would remind you now so you will be prepared.”

   “Oh joy,” she muttered sarcastically