Chapter 35- The truth is out

Isildilia thumped her head on the moss-like pillows in her healing room.

   Valin had called it a Grèfoniz room. Despite being deep within the heart of the mountain, the unique crystal in this specific rock illuminated the room like the moon outside. The small room was bathed in a faint glow from the bunches of pillar-like crystals in the wall. This also had the same unique effect on her. They decided to keep her here in order for her wings to repair. If not, then they will never mend, and cause her excruciating pain each time they re-emerged. But this also meant that she couldn’t leave the room at all.

   Numerous times she called out and asked how the children were doing, but she grasped little information, particularly about Ferica, which only made her worry more. The entire cave was covered in a soft, thick moss, including the ceiling. There was even a collection of silver, moon flowers growing around the edges. In the furthest corner, a small stream of water trickled through the rock and formed a shallow bathing pool, before sinking through the rock below.

   She had been in there nearly two weeks. By that time White Lily had fully recovered, so at least she wasn’t completely alone. She also helped to speed up her healing process.  But apart from the occasional healer and sometimes her parents, she saw no-one. She threw her wings forwards through frustration, propelling her back a few inches. Ignoring the painful throb it caused. Her arm and ribs were healed; it was just her wings she was waiting on.

   “I can't stay here any longer, I’ll go mad!”

   Be patient, these things take time, be grateful we can even heal fast, the vast majority cannot.  Isildilia grunted and stormed over to the pool. She crouched down and glared at her reflection. Thanks to White Lily there was no trace of scaring from her encounters.  She knelt down, scooped up a handful and washed her face, distorting her image.  She remained leant over, the drips of water sliding down her nose and lips to plop back into the pool while she contemplated her thoughts. The thought of Dakelo also lingered over her like a blackening cloud.  No one had yet found him, and she couldn’t help but be concerned, even though she knew he could care for himself she feared the change had made him vulnerable.

    She stood up rapidly as the doors opened. She smiled when she saw it was Valin. Before the doors shut, she glimpsed Thiryqa and Xnifo standing guard outside. Their expression had her concerned; they shuffled, as if nervous. Maybe something was wrong. The second he stepped inside, his clothes tore out behind him as his wings burst through. He grunted from annoyance and kept making his way over.   She noticed, as Valin approached, that he still had his right hand bandaged, yet he still hadn’t told her why.

   “How are you today?” he asked.

   “I'm perfectly fine. Aren’t I allowed out yet?” Valin shook his head. “Why not?” He marched over and grasped her left wing joint. He pulled and twisted it as explanation.  She tried not to wince as a shot of pain ran down her spine. He knew it hurt her.

   “That’s why. If you do not fully heal then it will get worse each night.” He took a few steps away before sitting down on the floor, resting his head on his hands. She realised how tired he suddenly looked. Isildilia walked behind him, pushed his moss green wings down, and wrapped her arms around his neck. He took a deep, shaky breath when she did, his body stiffening.

   “Is something wrong?” she asked.

   “No.” She snorted in irritation, then tucked her wings in tight to her body and crawled underneath his, so she was now in front of him. He refused to look at her directly, turning his head to the side.  She cupped his face in her hands, turning it to face her.

   “What's wrong?” she asked more sternly.  He reached up and grabbed her hands. She shivered, as his hands were surprisingly cold.

     “Nothing. I don’t want you to worry about anything.” She could feel his hands trembling. She stared at his right hand again. He noticed and tried to pull away, but she was too quick. He tried to squirm away but she threw her entire weight on top, knocking him to the floor. She wrapped her tail around his legs and pressed her body against his left arm, so she could use both hands to unravel his right one.