Chapter 11- The wolves of the okina forest.

(Picture- Hin and Killni)

"Oi, wake up, we're here." Someone shook Isildilia awake. She lifted her head up. Although she'd managed to sleep for a few hours, she felt worse than before. Her body was cramped and her neck was stiff. It took her eyes a while to adjust to what she was seeing.

They were on the edge of a vast forest. Isildilia had seen trees before; that she could remember, but nothing on this scale. She looked left and right, but she couldn't see the end. It was just a vast expanse of green and brown.

"What is this place?" gasped Dakelo.

Valin didn't look at him when he replied. "It's the Okina forest. One of the last surviving forests in human territories, of a decent size at least. Although it's rapidly shrinking."

"Why is that?" he asked. Valin shot him a dangerous glance then went on ahead.

"I think it has something to do with humans cutting it down," Isildilia whispered.

"He really doesn't like me, does he?" Dakelo indicated at Valin's disappearing back.

"I guess not. But you can understand why."

"Not really. I don't like him either. I've seen the way he looks at you." Isildilia cheeks burned.

"We best keep up," she muttered. "Let's go Pina." It proved more difficult to keep her balance once they got under the cover of the forest. The horses kept turning and rocking as they clambered over the tangled mess of roots and rocks

"Wouldn't it be easier if we walked here? It's probably quicker," Dakelo asked, after nearly falling off Loik again. Isildilia said nothing but Loik snorted loudly, probably from hurt pride. They finally caught up to where Valin had stopped.

He was standing in the centre of a clearing. There was a small circle of light that filtered through the gap in the canopy. When he saw that they had caught up, he came over and helped Isildilia off Pina. It was something she could easily accomplish herself, but she thought it rude to refuse. Dakelo slid off Loik's back with incredible grace; he was happy to move via his own feet. The moment they were off the horses, Pina and Loik galloped off.

"Where are they going?" Dakelo asked.

"Don't worry; they will be back in the morning."

"And where is here?"

"Why must you be so concerned about where we are? We are nowhere to be precise; we just have to wait here till morning for either Litz or someone else to come back with the orders." He sat back down against one of the trees, rummaging through the bags as he did so. He pulled out the wooden flute Isildilia had seen him pack. He put it to his lips and started to play a tune. It was beautiful, and the tune became more and more complex as he changed pace and pitch. She laid herself down on the grass and closed her eyes. She wanted to sing along, even though she didn't know any words. So instead, she hummed to herself. She did so for several minutes, feeling herself almost drifting back off to sleep.

She almost did when there was a sudden sharp pain in her gut. She opened her eyes in response, turning her head. She blinked when she saw several small flowers all around her head, in pale pink and white. She swore they hadn't been there when she laid herself down. She felt another stabbing pain and she rolled onto her front as a wave of vomiting overcame her, the concoction burning at her throat.

"Isildilia!" Dakelo exclaimed. Both men came running over to her. "What's wrong?" he asked. She couldn't reply, for she thought that if she opened her mouth she would vomit again. "Can't you do anything?" he begged Valin. Valin grabbed Isildilia and turned her over, so she was now lying on her back. That just made it worse. Her breathing started to quicken uncontrollably. "What happening? What's wrong with her?" Dakelo started to panic, but Valin did not answer him.