Chapter 17

No one's POV

September 24th, 10 years ago, Boston

Every soul wandering around the place could feel its destructive chaos. A lot of people happened to be here looking for something, having something to say, someone to blame or tears to shed. On the outside, it looked like a completely ordinary house with a peaceful atmosphere inside but no, it wasn't.

Last night, a woman was killed in this place by her very own husband. Funeral was supposed to happen today and that's the reason for this quiet crowd gathering.

Neighbors called the police as soon as they heard screams from the woman and her little twelve years old daughter and some of them spent the whole night there when the police came.

Detectives stayed to collect evidence, it was obvious what happened since they had an alive witness of this twisted act. That night, innocence of a child was stolen by death of her own mother. Even though those big people kept asking simple and completely understandable questions, Laura couldn't find an answer to them. They barely got any information from her.

All that she said was: "Daddy.. hurt mom with.. that. ", while pointing her shaking finger at the knife covered in blood that was lying on the floor.

This day, it looked as if everyone knew what they were doing except for her. The whole world around her was spinning. George Marano, the murderer, was taken to the station last night. Laura's shock was so overwhelming that her body could barely move at all.

She listened to different minds stating different opinions.

"They looked like such a lovely couple. "

"Such a tragedy. "

"He had a little daughter in the house. "

"How could he?"

"What did Elizabeth do to deserve this?"

"Oh god. I can't take it. "

Mommy was dead. That meant she was gone for good but she couldn't be. How can it happen so soon? It seems almost impossible.

Her thoughts were still trying to awaken that little bit of childish faith inside.

All that faith was broken when two people carried away a corpse in the black bag and someone said "Funeral is at two in the afternoon. "

Laura then felt tears prickle at her eyes and after the whole night and morning of just being quiet like a ghost, she began to cry loudly and unconsolably. Her screams caught everyone's attention and as they grew louder, her view got darker.

Very soon, the little girl lost her concience and just fell into the arms of an old lady from neighborhood who's been keeping her safe through this whole process.

"She's not okay! She's barely breathing. ", the old woman panicked.

That sight marked the arrival of the closest people to Marano family. Two families, Lynch and Prior, came to this chaos as soon as they heard the news.

Although, the Lynches brought only one of their three children, their oldest son who was sixteen at the time. Their younger son had a high fever at the time and was lying hopeless on the bed by his grandmother while the youngest of all, their little daughter was only six at the time and wasn't fit for an occasion like this.

"Laura!", thirteen years old Colton Prior shouted as he ran over to his cousin who was unconscious.

They were really close. Colton and Laura played together almost every day due to their mothers having a very good bond. They were sisters who had a 'two in a million' kind of relationship. Two of them were only one year apart, Colton's mother being the older one, just like Colton and Laura.