Chapter 44

The girl begins to make some kind of painful noises that are actually on the list of the most unpleasing sounds I've heard. She takes her hood off, revealing big black eyes glowing under the lamppost. I shiver and Ross pulls me farther backwards.

"Ross.. stop being so rough. My foot hurts when you pull me like that. "

He isn't being the least bit gentle. I get it that he's scared here on the cemetery, at 2 am with some narcotic girl hanging around but he could at least pay attention.

His heart beat is fast and his movements uncontrolled. Ross' arms are tight around me and lifting me up when the unfamiliar person starts approaching us. Fear awakens inside me too and I bury my face into his neck.

"Take me back, please. ", my half drunken, half drugged self whispers into his ear.

Ross is stepping back slowly but doesn't have an intention to just run away as I planned. He's just staring at her and I am feeling uneasy.

Blondie seems petrified by the presence before him which stops him from getting away. I look at the girl who is now obviously closer to us, looking as if she saw a ghost.

What the hell is happening in my life? Why isn't Ross leaving this place and taking us somewhere safer?

I hit Ross' chest. "Ross, please let's go back to the dorms.."

My eyes scan his face when I don't get an answer. While staring up at him, I see tear stains clearly shining on his cheeks from the small light. I'm confused and don't know what to do. Is he that scared that he can't move, that he cried?

I feel a hand touch my leg and throw a quick glance back around so see the girl reaching out to us. My heart is now beating fast and I scrunch up my face in fear, almost starting to cry. Her horrendously sick face is giving me chills.

I yell into Ross face and push his shoulders while kicking the frightening human creature off. "Ross! Wake the hell up and take me back!"

As if just now hearing my voice, he breaks out of his little bubble and with trembling hands, squeezes me to his chest and turns around. He begins to quickly walk away, desperately hiding his face from my view. He doesn't want me to see. Is he that ashamed of his tears, or is it something else?

I don't question him now, just relax because we got away from that unpleasant encounter and are now getting into the car. Wait. This isn't Ross' car. It's Jasper's.

I look around, familiar faces spinning in my head.

"Hey guys. ", I mumble to Anna and Jasper who are sitting in the front seats.

"Are you alright? What were you doing here at this time of night?", Jasper worriedly asks.

I hang my head low, not answering. My hands are shaking as the engine starts and we drive away into the night.

I feel Ross' hand trembling over mine as he holds it tight. He's looking out the window and holding his face with his other hand.

"Are you okay?", I whisper to him as I snuggle close to his right side.

"Uh-huh. "

For the entire ride, I don't get any answers. Everything is silent and nothing moves besides Jasper's hands and legs that are making this car drive and Ross' hard jaw tightly clenching and relaxing from time to time.

A short while later, we arrive at campus feeling unfamiliar tension.

"I'll sleep with Lexi at her dorm. ", Anna announces as she picks up her stuff from her bed. Just pj's I guess. Why would she sleep with Lexi? She's got her own bed.